"I am not on the verge of tears!" Regulus snapped, but James could hear the edges of his voice breaking and imagined the furious tears that Sirius often got at the edges of his eyes when he was mad, and suspected that the trait was something the Black brothers shared.

"-- and I will await your appreciation for the chance that I took and the success that I had in collecting the store of saliva. Because of me there are a good deal fewer people in danger of being turned. Because of me, you and your precious friends in the Order of the Phoenix, are safe from the mean little werewolves."

"Oh don't be such a martyr," Regulus snapped. "It isn't as though you would've done it if I hadn't told you it was for Lily Evans!"

James stiffened in the corridor and his grip tightened on Sirius's shoulder. Sirius glanced 'round at him. "Now may I go hex him?" he breathed in a slightly sardonic tone. Jame shook his head.

"I knew you wouldn't," Regulus was continuing, "I knew you couldn't help out of a purely unselfish reason, and that's why I told you that they were targeting Lily. They aren't. They're just evil werewolves doing basic evil werewolf things, without any specific plans for Lily. If there'd really been any plans involving Lily, don't you think that James Potter would've taken care of it himself instead of involving a grimy snake like yourself in the matter?"

There was a crack of magic, immediately followed by another and several bright flashes that lit up the dark corridor ahead of James and Sirius. There was silence for a moment, then a continued sound of cracking magic and flashes of light and several loud grunts, then a thump and a groan. James started to go toward the dungeon but it was Sirius's turn to stop him, and Sirius held him tight.

"Do not - ever - ask me - for help again," Severus Snape's voice came out, panting and edged with pain. "I will not give it." And there was a sweeping swoosh of his cloak and Severus came into the corridor hurriedly, clutching his wrist, scowling, and his nose bloodied. He stopped short as he came 'round the corner and found Sirius and James standing there in the dark hall, crowded together against the wall. He stared at them in surprise, caught off guard.

"Hullo Snivellus," Sirius crooned.

Snape shoved 'round him, shoving James in the process directly into the stone wall, and moved down the corridor so quickly that neither Sirius nor James had time to react, though that didn't stop Sirius from shooting an errant spell after him down the corridor, the sparks flying and glowing as they trailed off. "Shall we go after him?" Sirius demanded, ready to dart down the corridor after Snape.

James glowered after Severus, his fists balled, and his mouth twisted sourly, then he looked at Sirius and shook his head, "It's not worth it," he murmured, "Not worth it... Not worth it..." He stood up right and dusted himself off, "Besides, I haven't got my wand and the only way I'm going after that git is if I have my wand. I'm not about to piss off Evans and not even be able to hex the bastard." He turned toward the dungeon room Severus had just come out of, "Besides - Reg's waiting."

Sirius looked like he might go after Snape anyway, but finally lowered his wand and shuffled after James. "I could go," he murmured, "It isn't me Evans won't be doing rounds with later if Snape's accidentally hexed into a fruit bat."

"No but if she finds out I was with you when you'd done it, she'd probably bat-bogey hex the both of us into next century," James said.

Sirius shuddered at the thought of Lily Evans's bat-bogey hex.

Regulus was sitting on the floor in the dungeon, sprawled and pushing himself up as James and Sirius walked in. James rushed over and helped pull Regulus to his feet. "What'd he do to you?" he demanded, an edge to his voice.