16. The Leather that Binds

Start from the beginning

Once I handed it back to him, he wasted no time in nodding his head and brushing past me. With my curiosity piquing, I followed him to the next building over. It was one of the larger, more extravagant structures on campus, decorated with towering archways that we had to walk under to reach the front entrance. I'd never figured out what the building was for, and I didn't get a chance to observe the interior as Hoseok went straight for the spiral staircase in the corner as soon as we entered.

Silence surrounded us, aside from the quiet tapping of our shoes as we ascended the stairs. He led the way across the second story floor, only stopping when we came upon a large mahogany door at the very back of the building. My eyes followed his hands as they reached out, slim fingers wrapping around the bronze handle to pull the door open. He stood back and let me enter the large room first.

I stepped forward, instantly astounded by its beauty. While it was a rather bare studio, the simplicity made it all the more attractive. The shades of the hardwood floor were of the same colors you'd find after biting into a chocolate-covered cherry. The reddish-brown carried onto the wooden walls and the room would've been too dark if not for the paneless window that stretched across the entire wall opposite the door. Bright rays of the rising sun streamed in and bounced off the reflection of the mirror that took up the wall to my right.

"It's beautiful, but why was it so important to come here?" I questioned, turning back to meet his masked face.

His eyes carefully glided over my features before he replied, "It's rare for anyone to come up here and there's no way to see in unless they open the door. The other studio has too many people passing by and they can see right inside."

I frowned, crossing the remainder of the room. I gestured to the grand window that showcased the deep grey fountain in the middle of the courtyard outside.

"Can't anyone passing by just look up and see us?" I asked as I gazed upon the detailed craftsmanship of the statues. Three ballerinas en pointe, each leaning in different directions with their hands on one another's arms for support.

There was a faint pang in my chest. I missed having girlfriends. The ones I'd had in high school all had different doors open for them, and though we still checked in from time to time, we'd mostly parted ways. I hoped I could make a female friend soon or I was sure I'd go crazy from all the testosterone surrounding me.

"The window is blacked out from the outside. We can see them but they can't see us." Hoseok's voice was calm, almost serene, and it only made his statement even more chilling.

"Why does it matter if anyone sees us or not?" I questioned apprehensively.

He observed my countenance with precision, giving me the sense that he could read me with ease. Then he proved my theory by asking, "Why are you so nervous?"

"Just tell me why, Hoseok. Please."

His brow twitched, then he sighed. "I'm going to dance."

My lips parted in surprise and I rushed to gain back my composure, trying to appear unfazed - or at least less than I truly was. "I thought you didn't want to dance in front of anyone."

"Hence why I brought us here," his deep voice replied.

"But what about me?"

I could hear a faint breath leave his nose out of amusement. "You already saw me, and for some reason, that fact doesn't bother me like I thought it would," he said as he captured my eyes. "Now, I'm not saying I'll put on a whole performance for you, but you will be able to learn faster if I can show you exactly what I want from you."

His explanation made sense, and I decided to trust him, but not before sending a text to inform Jimin of where I was and who I was with. I told him around what time we would likely finish, too.