32. The Thief

32 | THE THIEF

I was caught between the warmth of the body embracing me and the flare of the eyes ensnaring me. The dim lights of the theatre flickered as Hoseok walked up to us with his arms crossed over his chest. He moved his glare to the bandaged arm that was wrapped around me.

"Are you okay to dance with her?"

Jungkook loosened his hold and placed his hand on my shoulder. "Yeah, it's pretty much healed already."

"Even if you have to lift her? Because I can step in if—"

"It's fine," Jungkook said shortly.

Hoseok's gaze found mine again, his eyes hardening into something unreadable. "You take the lead. Show us what you have in mind, and I'll give suggestions."

"Okay," I replied before facing Jungkook. He glanced down at me with the ghost of a smirk on his mouth, but I wouldn't let it break my focus. "It's about a shared past, and one dancer forgets their history. The other is trying to help them to remember."

Jungkook snorted. "A little on the nose, don't you think?"

I shrugged. "Yes. But nobody else knows that. I wanted to choose something meaningful to me. Something I can connect with."

"Not the most subtle on your part," Hoseok said, and I could hear in his tone and see in his eyes the amusement he felt. "But it has potential for good choreography."

"Would you two stop teasing me? Let's get started." Straightening my posture, I locked eyes with my dance partner. "I want us to start together at center stage, then we'll grow apart and move to opposite ends."

"As you wish." With a wink, Jungkook took my hands and backed up, positioning us right in the middle of the floor.

Hoseok set down his portable speaker, then asked for my phone. I pulled it out of the pocket of my leggings and handed it to him after opening the file of the song. He clicked the screen, and familiar piano notes began playing, the new violin chords stringing along with the rhythm.

"Woah," Jungkook commented, still holding my hands. "They came up with this in just a day?"

I shook my head. "They said they were building off of projects they already started. But they adjusted it to fit the mood I was hoping for, and then they added the violin yesterday."

"Still impressive," Hoseok said.

"Can you start it over?" I requested, having visualized a few potential moves as the song carried on in the background. Even as we were speaking, there were silhouettes dancing in my head.

Hoseok restarted the track, and as soon as the first keys grazed my ears, I took Jungkook's hands, pressing our palms together and slowly raising them between our chests. As the notes quickened, I pushed against him and turned away from his body.

"Then you catch my wrist and pull me back," I said, feeling his fingers wrap around my wrist right as the violin swept over the piano. Jungkook tugged me back, and I spun into his arms much like before.

The music cut out.

"May I suggest something?" Hoseok asked as he stepped toward us.

Already?

"Sure," I replied, watching his every move.

He stopped at our sides, then reached out to guide Jungkook's arms more fully around my frame. "Put your hands here," he instructed, and I held my breath as both of their hands went to my ribcage, just below my chest. "Then tuck your chin into her shoulder." Jungkook's cheek was hot against mine as he rested his head near the crook of my neck. Each breath he took was felt by my back, and Hoseok's smooth voice was close, "Jangmi, if you lean into him a bit and tilt your head back—good."