08. The Disappearance

My brain was scattered as I made my way back to the common room

My brain was scattered as I made my way back to the common room. What happened with Jin had my insides stirring unpleasantly. It felt like I'd been peering into the eyes of two different people at once. The first was a man I recognized and cared for, the one who had swept me off my feet and carried me when the waters of life felt too high to tread alone. The second was a stranger, a man who seemed bitter and unhappy and all too desperate to win some sort of approval from me.

It had crossed my mind that perhaps Jin hoped to earn more than just acknowledgment from me. Jungkook's words about him echoed hauntingly in my head, "I just think you have the hardest time moving on out of all of us."

What if Jin really hadn't moved on from me? Would that have been motive enough for him to send anonymous letters? To stalk me? The writer certainly seemed to be familiar with me in some way, and Jin was the only other person I had a history with besides Jimin.

But then wouldn't you have recognized his handwriting?

It wasn't difficult for someone to alter their style of writing enough that I wouldn't recognize it. Whoever the writer was, they seemed too calculated to use their natural handwriting, so it was an unreliable method to narrow anything down. I had to find more substantial clues.

As I made my way back to the common room, I formulated my next plan of action. I would continue with the game, ask insightful questions, and pay attention. After returning to the dorm, I would grab the two notes and take pictures of them to have digital copies. Tomorrow, I'd bring them to the Student Safety Services and see what they would do to help. I probably should have gone to them sooner, but it had only been a day since finding the second note, and I still doubted that they would be able to do anything for me without a name or any full-blown threat.

"Where's Jin?" Namjoon was the first to question me once I'd returned.

"He's not feeling well," I responded half-heartedly, positive they'd all see through the lie.

"Well, what do we do now?" Jimin asked, running a hand through his midnight blue hair as he glanced around the room.

Hesitating for only a moment, I decided to take Jin's abandoned spot next to Jungkook. I knew it might boost the dancer's ego, but that's why I did it. His reaction was something I wanted to gauge.

And just as I'd anticipated, he leaned back, meeting my eyes while his arm rested along the top of the couch. His lips tilted up in satisfaction and I had to restrain my eyes from rolling.

"I say we continue," I suggested, turning my attention to the others.

"I guess we've got nothing better to do." Namjoon looked around the room before adding, "What do you guys think?"

"Sure," Taehyung spoke up.

"Alright," Yoongi drawled.

Jimin shrugged. "As long as we keep it interesting."