09

rowan's pov

it was a good job nobody was on the veranda because he could not be dealing with the witnesses of his treason.

speedily, rowan sliced maeve in half again so that she was cut into quarters. he would take no risks.

she was valg; who was to say she wouldn't be able to stitch herself back together again.

"what happene-" fenrys ran into the room, eyes wide and panting as his oath to the queen was ripped from him in her death.

he just stared at the mangled body on the floor, blood leaking over every surface.

rowan had a satisfactory gleam in his eyes.

to be fair, he expected it to be a harder fight, but maeve was so full of herself that her ego clouded everything.

"get me some kindling from the forest and a stone" was all he ordered.

fenrys was in too much shock (he was happy, but the blood oath being taken from him had its effect) to refuse.

a few moments later, he re-emerged from the trees and gave rowan the items.

the fae male began to make a fire.

once the embers were formed, he picked up the alight stick and dropped it onto maeve's body.

"mother's tits." fenrys muttered as she was engulfed in flames, burning through clothes and flesh.

the smell was disgusting, but he found it weirdly comforting.

maybe he could make a candle from it? to remember the day he killed queen maeve of doranelle - like a souvenir, of sorts.

the look on his face must have been wicked and horrifying as the wolf shifter muttered "i do not want to know what is going through your head right now."

"where is aelin?" he snapped, turning around to finally face him.

"i don't know," the male sighed "one moments the coffin was there and the next, there was this surge of energy and she was gone."

as the words were said into the open, the noise of small, shuffling feet sounded to their left.

rowan drew his sword and angled it to the source, but let out a breath when he noticed a small rendering on a tiny rock.

the little people had left him a message.

the fae crouched down and lifted the statue that they had made, to inspect it closer.

the twigs and leaves had been twisted and threaded together to create the image of a girl falling into a black hole - a portal?

with recognition, his eyes widened. the girl was aelin; he could tell from the crown made of red leaves to look like it was fire burning on her head.

"aelin is in another world," rowan mumbled to fenrys, who still seemed to not have a clue what just happened "and i know how to get to her."

-

a/n : another short chapter but the next will be back to a normal length.

also i finished reading six of crows and crooked kingdom and it is so good!!

i've just started cruel prince now ahhhh cardan is lowkey mean but i love him