Chapter 32: Lost Hope

Start from the beginning

"W-what do you mean?" Gabrielle asked, confusion blurring her mind.

"He really set us up. He purposely led us to that hidden path to get cornered by his king." He scoffed. "What are we even expecting? He's the king's favorite. What a great actor."

"But what about Seraphiel?"

"He must have got ridden of him knowing he's not needed for this damn thing they're planning to us. He must be handed to the king and who knows what they did to him."

Gabrielle's hand made a way to her mouth in disbelief. Hwanwoong rested his head on the wall, his teeth clenched.

"No." She whispered through her mouth.

"I should have killed that bastard the moment he offered us to be killed back then." Ravn clenched his fists in frustration.

"What are we going to do now?" Keonhee asked, his voice sounding so small as he curled up in the corner of his cell.

"I don't even know anymore." Gabrielle mumbled to herself as she hugged her knees. She doesn't even know what to think about. She couldn't feel anything. Even the thought of Seraphiel gone just hangs in her mind, the thought still forcing itself to sink in that she has lost him.

Is this really it? Have I failed this time? For real?

In the midst of the dead silence, Mingi stirred and groaned. The sound of him made everyone's attention turn to him.

"Mingi!" Hwanwoong moved closer as their cells were right beside each other. The others just watched him wake up. Questions were stuck on their throat, but they knew better to not ask him in chorus.

Mingi who was surprised at the familiar voice, still tried to adjust his eyes even though it's dim in the room. His eyes were blurry and sticky. He rubbed his eyes and got up from laying down. "Hwanwoong?"

"It's me, Mingi. Are you okay?"

"I-I'm fine, I guess." He mumbled as he tried to stop himself from wincing in pain. "Why are you here-- why are you all here--Gabrielle?"

"We got our backs stabbed by a knife." Leedo shrugged his shoulders, as if he doesn't care anymore.

"By who?"

"That ghoul who took you."

"San?"

"Yes, that great actor."

Mingi's eyebrows furrowed. "What? He told me he's on our side and that he'll help us."

"That's what he told us too. Seems like we forgot he's a ghoul." Ravn said nonchalantly.

Mingi's lips parted as he let what they said sink in. He began to regret talking to San. He felt like a fool.

"So where is he now?" He asked, a small glint of anger shining through his eyes. "I need to get my hands on him and finally end his life."

"If I knew, I would have killed him then before you do." Ravn rolled his eyes. "That bastard is probably back on the king's lap."

Silence engulfed them once again and it was then they heard the quiet sobs from Gabrielle who was curled up into a ball in the corner of her cell. She hid her face with her forearms that were resting on her knees, as if it'll hide the fact that she's crying.

"Elle," Ravn tried to move closer but even if he has reached the iron bars in between them, he still couldn't reach her.

"I'm sorry, everyone." She whispered but the silence just made her voice audible to everyone. "I failed to protect you all and lost Seraphiel."