48

Through out the flight, Karima was a mess as she wouldn't stop crying. An elderly woman who sat next to her rubbed her back and told her it would be alright.

"How would it be alright Mama? I love him. And we're not right for eachother. I had to leave" she told the woman crying more.

The woman rubbed her back. "Sometimes, the hardest thing is the right thing. Everything will fall into place eventually. Just be patient okay? And stop crying please, you might get a headache" The woman lectured. The woman tried everything to get Karima to stop crying but she didn't.

She kept crying until the plane landed. When she got outside, their driver called.

"Hajiya, I'm outside. Alhaji Khalifa said your flight just landed"

Karima hung up the call immediately. Fresh tears poured from her eyes as she located the black mini Lexus jeep among other cars. The driver collected her load as she got into the car.

Karima continued crying. The driver asked if something happened and if he could help. She ignored him.

With blurry eyes, she entered the house. She passed her elder brother and went towards Mama's room.

Mama looked at her confused. She wasn't fair but her whole face was red and her eyes were bloodshot.

"Lafiya?! What happened? Are you okay? Subhanallah you're burning up" that was all Karima heard as darkness consumed her.

Mama frantically told Yusuf to pick her up as she had just fainted.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Karima opened her eyes slowly and tried pulling her left hand from Khalifa's hold.

He sat up quickly. Tears brimmed both their eyes.

"I just wanted to make sure you're fine. I'll leave now" he said standing up.
Karima wanted to tell him to sit back down but she couldn't. She wasn't sure if they could move past this.

Before Khalifa opened the door, Yusuf barged in.

"What did I tell you? It's like you want to trade places with her, your busted lip is not enough is it?" Yusuf fumed.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to make sure she's fine" Khalifa answered him.

Khalifa was a lot older than Yusuf but he took the beating and the shouts. He knew how much they adored their sisters.

"She's not fine. She's been out for 43 hours. What did you do to her? What happened to Abba entrusting her to you? What about the promise you made about protecting her?" Yusuf shouted.

"Yusuf! Get out! Is Khalifa your mate? How dare you hit him? Or shout on him even?" Mama scolded.

"No. He's right. I'm so sorry. I should leave" Khalifa muttered slowly.

"No one is asking you to leave. She's your wife. Stay" Mama said.

"Stay and do what? Hurt her more? Mama why are you condoning this nonsense?" Yusuf shouted.

He has always been the quiet one. He never got angry but when he did, it never ended well.

Mama slapped him hard across the face.
"I said you shouldn't talk to him that way, he's your older brother Yusuf!"

Khalifa felt as though his life was tearing apart. Getting between Mama and her children was the last thing he wanted.

Mama always protected him from everything and anything. She made sure she loved him more than she loved her own children. But right now, he felt as though he's putting her in the spot. Making her hit her own child for something that he did.