P A R T - F O U R T E E N

Start from the beginning

In a lot of other ways, however, he couldn't help but feel nothing for Meredith. The red flags were there, and she chose to ignore them for an ideal she made in her head. She wanted him to be the perfect guy, when in reality, they were both probably better off being perfect for somebody else.

"What are you thinking about?" John asked, sitting up from leaning his head on Oliver's shoulder.

"I'll tell you later." Oliver replied quietly and sipped his drink before putting it back down...

"I don't think I can handle another pint." Alice giggled, although she was tempted to do what Magnus asked simply from the way he was looking at her.

"Come on... Just one more," he mused, "I'll take care of you." He smirked as they gradually seemed to edge closer together. She stared into his eyes and seemed to feel the room slip away. The music became muffled for a moment... and she felt her breaths slow and deepen... I'll take care of you seemed to sink in her mind as if her subconscious had reached out to grab them as they passed.

"Okay," she breathed, then laughed slightly in embarrassment as she realised she had been gazing at him. Had he always been that handsome? It felt like she was looking at him properly for the first time in a while.

"Another round!" Someone cheered, breaking her momentary daze completely and she blinked, looking towards whoever had called out.

"Uh uh," Amara spoke up, after clocking in on what was happening, since she had been engrossed in a conversation with Lucas who had been whispering something to her. "I think Alice has had enough beer for this evening," she mused with a smirk as she stood up, seeing the time just passing one thirty in the morning and she was growing tired, not only of socialising but being physically awake too, especially after what she'd heard. Otto sat up a little more, having zoned out a little, and looked slightly disappointed but eager as he watched Amara stand up.

"What? I'm fine, I can handle one more," Alice protested, backing away playfully as Amara got closer and reached out for her. "I swear, I promise, I'm good." she giggled, but took Amara's hand anyway as she had offered it.

"You're leaving?" Otto asked, standing up as well as the rest of the group went back to talking amongst themselves, wondering if they should play another game and what it would be. He gradually made his way over, stepping over other peoples legs as he approached Amara, Alice and Magnus, who had stayed close to Alice.

"Yeah, I'm a little tired," Amara replied, moving her long black hair back over her shoulders as Alice held her hand and swayed a little bit as she listened to the music. Lucas stayed sitting down, and watched Amara intently as they made eye contact, seeming to communicate silently after he chose not to get up to join them since Magnus was there.

He hated how he was letting Alice's ex affect him like this... he had heard stories from her about the way Magnus would have this affect on people, but never really believed them until now. He assumed she had been dressing him up as the scary ex boyfriend simply because she should but now... he saw that maybe she had been telling the truth. Lucas always had thought of ways he would've behaved and things he would've done if he had been there, back in Summerland where this all started, but after what had happened earlier he began to doubt that. Magnus Johnson wasn't just a bully, he was a killer, and would follow through with his threats if he felt it was necessary... but it made him feel better that he had told Amara now, since exposing Magnus wasn't something he was afraid of doing.