c h a p t e r 11- PE sucks

So far, my first day had been alright. After I had gone back to my table at lunch, the cafeteria had seemed to recover from me and Dylan's little scene and I spent the rest of lunch laughing and getting to know Lyra, Willow and Xavier- I could tell that they would be great friends and they were the first people (apart from my brothers) who made me feel like I belonged.

The bell rang, signalling the end of lunch and I checked my schedule. Groaning, I saw that it was PE. It's not that I didn't enjoy exercising- in fact I was actually kind of good at running- I just hated exercising in high school. The sporty kids always got weirdly competitive and I had had way too many experiences with them yelling at me when I made one mistake- like, sorry dude, but it's not the fucking Olympics you know? And the popular kids would just take it as an opportunity to show how 'superior' they were when they got picked first. And, yes, I was always picked last which made me feel great as you can imagine.

Grumbling under my breath, I peeked over the rest of my friend's schedules. Thank god, they had PE too. God forbid I would have had to be the loner. Shouting a bye to Xavier, Lyra linked her arms though mine and Willows' as she dragged us towards the changing room.

'Come on! We have to get a corner before the bitches come in and start strutting around in their underwear everywhere!' Lyra huffed, turning a bit red in the face as she tried to get us to walk further. It took one look exchanged between me and Willow before we burst out laughing.

'Calm down- the exercise is supposed to start in the lesson, remember?' Willow giggled. Smiling, I shook my head and grabbed both their hands, pulling them into a corner a second before all the popular girls- or the bitches as Lyra so kindly put them as- strutted in. I rolled my eyes. How exhausting it must be for them to act so fake all the time. One of them must have seen me roll my eyes because the next moment, all of them turned to me in synchronize and gave me a scoffing look. I couldn't help but smile sweetly back and wave- probably not the best idea but is was worth it when I saw their confused expressions. I guess they weren't used to people not sucking up them. Oops.

We got changed quickly and I frowned a bit when I saw how short my shorts were but shrugged it off. No-ones gonna look. I hope. We sat down on the edge of the field, watching the boys in all their hot glory. Even the asshole known as Cole Riveras looked pretty good. Okay really, really good. But I'd never admit that.

We sat there for about 5 minutes, mostly rating the boys before coach called us over.

'Okay, girls. Today we'll be doing some football. Sound good?' I frowned. I really didn't think my ribs could take that but I couldn't think of a good enough excuse to get out of it and, honestly, I didn't want to make a bad impression on the coach, especially if I wanted to do track this year.

It'll be fine, I'll just stay out of the way I reassured myself as we got picked into teams. Unfortunately, I wasn't with Lyra or Willow and we gave each other sad looks as we walked to opposite ends of the field. With my luck, I, of course ,got stuck with the goalie position for the first game. Fuck, I had a feeling that this wasn't going to end well, especially with the dirty looks from the popular girls I kept getting.

The whistle blew, indicating the start of the game.

7 minutes in and all was good. Thankfully, my team were actually half decent and so the ball was mainly kept on the other side of the pitch, meaning I had basically been able to stand there, not doing anything.

I felt my panic begin to fade away as I saw the clock read that we only had another minute left.

1 minute, you can survive that Alyssa.

I watched with dread as Madi, one of the sportier girls on the other team, stole the ball, kicking it towards my side of the pitch. No, god please. With wide eyes, I watched as the ball came closer and closer towards me. Shit, teammates would be really appreciated right now! But no, I was completely alone. Jogging from one foot to another, I readied myself to dodge. Yes, I was going to sacrifice my team losing a point but we had already won and my ribs would suffer way worse than my team's spirit.