A Short Chapter in Which Everything Goes Wrong

We turned as the gates swung open, revealing Weasel, the Delanceys, and several armed goons. Welp. We're dead.

"Time these kids learned a lesson," Weasel said with an evil grin. They began advancing towards us. I swallowed nervously. This is it. This is the part where I die.

"Newsies! Get em'!" Jack yelled. We charged forward, tossing newspaper bundles at them and doing our best not to get punched. I watched as a goon punched Albert in the jaw, sending him flying. I turned and kicked the man in the back, sending him toppling forward. Another goon grabbed me from behind, pinning my arms behind my back. A voice called out over the crowd.

"Race, duck!" For once I did what I was told, dipping my head as a marble hit the goon right smack in the center of his forehead. I grinned up at Finch, who was firing marbles from his slingshot from his spot on top of one of the wagons. I pulled away from the goon, making a mad dash for the wagon. I scrambled up it, standing next to Finch, and began hurling newspaper bundles at Weasel and his goons. I paused to take in the scene around me.

Morris had grabbed Les again, and Jack was trying to get him back. Albert was dodging punches from Oscar. Not far from the wagon, Mush was curled up in a ball while several goons kicked at him. Blink was trying to pull them away from Mush, but it wasn't working very well. One of the goons had climbed the chalkboard and was trying to get to Specs, but Romeo was effectively blocking him from getting any further than the ladder while Specs called out warnings to the newsies on the ground.

A shrill scream shook me from my daze and I turned to see Jojo getting badly beaten up by a goon. I hopped down from the wagon and ran to my brother, trying to pull the man away from him. The man turned and punched me in the face, hitting me in the eye, which immediately began to swell up. Jojo used this distraction to drag himself away, taking cover under the distribution counter.

I tried to hit the man but he easily deflected me, sending another punch at my face, hitting me in the jaw. Once he was satisfied with my beating, he turned to help two of his friends soak Elmer and Buttons, who were clutching on to one another as a rain of punches and kicks were sent their way. I stumbled around in a daze, trying to figure out where to help, but everyone seemed to be in trouble, and I was in so much pain. Suddenly, a figure appeared at the entrance. It was a police officer. Romeo stumbled up to him.

"It's about time you showed up!" he exclaimed. "They're slaughtering us-" he was interrupted as the officer smacked him hard in the face, knocking him to the ground. Behind the officer stood a man who terrified me more than any other goon in this place. Snyder. My breath hitched in my throat, and I stumbled to the ground.

"Cheese it, fellas!" Jack called out to us. "It's the bulls!" the boys began to take flight, dashing around officers. Many of them were hit as they passed, but they all managed to escape. Albert appeared next to me, helping me up. Together we limped away, praying that the bulls wouldn't see us. Luckily, they were distracted by someone else.

"You can't run forever, Kelly!" Snyder roared as the bulls advanced towards Jack, who was trying to protect Crutchie. Terror flashed across Jack's face and he bolted, leaving Crutchie to fend for himself.

"Jack?" Crutchie tried to get to his feet but fell down again. "Wait for me!" Jack turned to go back for him, but the Delanceys got to Crutchie first. Jack climbed up a fire escape, watching helplessly as Oscar pinned Crutchie down.

"Where do ya think your goin'?" he sneered. Crutchie cried out to the few newsies who were nearby.

"Jack! Help! Romeo! Finch!" Finch and Romeo gave him sorry looks but continued to run. Crutchie tried to stand up again, but Morris punched him in the face, knocking him back down.

"Shut it, crip." he muttered. Snyder comes up to them, an evil grin spreading across his face. He picked up Crutchie's crutch and began to beat him with it. I looked away, unable to keep watching. Albert and I made our way back to the lodging house, where most of the others we're already waiting. Mr. Kloppman looked at me grimly as we came in and handed me an ice pack for my eye.

I sat down on my bunk, pressing the ice to my eye, letting the numbness take over my face. Albert sat next to me, an ice pack on his jaw. Finch was comforting a sobbing Jojo, and Mush sat not far from them, a blank look on his face. Kid Blink was bandaging a large gash on Mush's hand.

"That," Blink said from the ground. "Was a disaster," we nodded and muttered in agreement. Buttons walked in with Elmer trailing behind him. In his hand he held a first aid kit. He walked towards me.

"Race, let me see your eye," Buttons crouched down in front of me. I removed the ice pack from my swollen eye. Buttons winced when he saw it.

"You look terrible!" Elmer exclaimed. I gave him an annoyed look.

"Gee, thanks," I muttered. I knew my eye was swollen, and my nose felt like it might have been broken. A huge bruise covered most of my left jaw. Buttons gave me some painkiller, then turned to help the others.

After Buttons and Elmer had left, my brothers and I sat in silence. Albert was still sitting on the end of my bed, and Jojo and Finch were on the ground next to their bed. Mush and Blink we're seated near the door. Finally Albert broke the silence.

"I'm hungry," he said. I groaned.

"You're always hungry!" I swear that kid could eat an entire five course meal and still be begging for more. He pouted at me.

"I didn't eat lunch!" he complained. Finch rolled his eyes.

"You'll live," Albert sighed and flopped down on the bed. 

You know how I said the last chapter was hard to write? This one was painful. I hate writing violence, especially when it involves my children (poor Jojo). 

Annnnyway, that was the end of Act 1, so the next chapter will start at the beginning of Act 2, AKA King of New York. I know that technically there's still one more song in Act 1, but I can barely listen to Letter From the Refuge without crying, so there is no way I'd be able to write a chapter about it.

Also I know I labeled this as a short chapter, but it was like 1148 words so... short compared to my other chapters, but still not that short.

Please COMMENT and VOTE! Like pretty please comment. I love comments.

Love ya!

- Peaches