Mouthing Off (Daryl x Reader)

Start from the beginning

" I ain't giving up that fucking easy. I'm not gonna just roll over and obey every fucking command out of this asshole's mouth without a goddamn good reason!" Suddenly, someone grabs you, throwing you over their shoulder. "Dammit Daryl, put me the hell down!"

"I got her," he says to the group, "Meet y'all back at home." Rick nods, throwing his hand up in a circular motion, rounding everyone back up and on their way.

Your fists slam down against Daryl's back, doing little against the solid muscle, "Jesus Christ, put me down." You keep squirming, kicking and hitting making him know that he's gonna damn sure be sore if he was gonna keep this shit up. 'Daryl, I swear to God. Put me the fuck down right now!

"Do you talk to your mother with that mouth?" He grunts, and keeps walking off deeper into the woods.

"Fuck you!" You punctuate your statement with a hard jab of your elbow to his back.

His gruff breathing, the swishing of the leaves, and the occasional snap of a twig floods your senses. You'd never admit it, but you're losing some steam. The fight earlier took a lot out of you, and this tantrum wasn't helping anything. "Bout time ya settled down," he says. To which you roll your eyes, and grunt back. Maybe he needs to hear it in his own language.

Finally, the sound of a running creek falls on your ears, the movement of water offering a slight cool down in the air. He sets you down by the water, and immediately you back up, shoulders squared, "Alright fine, you got me here. Now what?"

He shrugs. "Do what you gotta. But ya better damn sure get it out here . That shit," he points back to the road where you had been earlier, "that ain't gonna fly. Ya need to stop that."

Your arms cross against your chest, "You can't seriously agree with that asshole!"

"It ain't about whether I agree with him. We don't know that they wouldn't have come for-"

"Exactly! We didn't know. I thought you of all people would understand that." You begin to pace. "We lost people. Good people, for something that wasn't even a threat." The anger has begun to bleed into grief. "I..dammit..." you turn your back, not wanting the tears falling down your cheeks to be seen. "I... I can't lose anybody else."

"Y/N..." Daryl's voice was softer now. His footsteps light and slow as he approached. "Y/N..." HIs hand reaches out to your shoulder causing a sob that you're fighting so hard to keep in to escape your lips. It's all over then, the floodgates swing wide open. Every repressed emotion, every memory like a tidal wave crashing into you. You feel arms around your waist, catching you as your knees give way. "I gotcha. I gotcha."

His body sinks to the ground with yours, holding you tightly as you shake with the weight of everything. You stay like that for what seems like an eternity. He doesn't say anything, just sits there, your back resting against his chest until you're ready. Your voice was barely a whisper, "..I'm sorry..."

His chest rumbles against your back as he speaks, "What?"

"I'm sorry..." You raise your head, and wipe your face, " I shouldn-"

"Hey. Stop that." His breath fans against your neck, "What ya went through.... It's terrible. Ya lost a lot of people. Ya seen things no one should have to see, but that don't mean that everythin' around ya is gonna fall apart. It don't mean that everythin'' is gonna break you." Sobs rip from your throat as he continues to speak. "Ya got a choice to make, Y/N. Ya can let it keep eatin ya until there's nothin' left,"

"Or?" You sniffle.

"Or ya can remember 'em. Ya remember why ya fight. Ya honor 'em by living." He releases a ragged breath, and you can tell he was on the verge of letting his own tears fall, "I was angry for a long time. I damn near got myself killed. Hell, I wanted to die. I picked fights, did stupid shit, but then I realized I have a lot left to fight for. Even though I don't understand why, I got a lot of people left who care about me. So do you." He rests his head on your shoulder, "You ain't alone. S'bout time ya stop actin' like ya are."

Your fingers lightly trace a mindless on the back of his hand, "How...?"

He stands up, and offers his hand, "For starters, don't start shit in the middle of the road in front of everybody." You take his hand, and wipe a final tear from your cheek as you get to your feet. "Not everyone's against ya, ya hear me."

Nodding your head in agreement, you square your shoulders again to regain composure. "Thank you, Daryl."

He offers a nod in return, "yea." His hand reaches for yours, and starts back toward the road, "Now com' on, let's get back before it gets dark. Ya gotta make it right."

"I know."