Chapter 10 - What the fuck is that?

Start from the beginning

Her body had taken a real beating throughout her life. She was constantly deprived of blood, oxygen and nutrition. She was always tired and unwell.

Her body hurt. She hurt. She was so fucking tired. Tired of medicine, tired of pain, sickness, tube's, wire's, hospital's, life. Her brain hurt. 

Adeline wasn't sure how much more her body could take. 

Adeline's heart was even more crushed when James came bounding up to her as they exited the room. He had been lounging on the plush bean bags on the floor that were meant for the four year olds. 

His inquisitive eyes met her "How'd it go?" Addie only responded with a shrug not quite sure what to do to not cry. Harlan saved her. 

"Harrison take her home. James, the Dr's waiting." Adeline walked forwards as Harry placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and propelled her toward's the lift's. 

Addie cried in the car. Not huge sobs, just a slow trickle of tear's that slid forlornly down her cheeks whilst Harry attempted to comfort her. The only comfort she was used to was her own, this hugging from her brother's confused her, no-one had hugged her this much. 

She saved the breaking down for the night, when she had quietly washed her hair and brushed her teeth. And when she had put her pyjamas on and climbed into bed. Only then did she allow the heaving sobs to leaver her drained body, her sore chest heaving. 

The last week and a half had slowly crept up on her, overwhelming her senses and body. She finally let the crushing weight of the world go. 

Unbeknownst to her, Elijah was stood outside, his heart hurting too. But for a different reason.

*******************

The following day Addie was quiet, not quite ready to tell her brother's what was going on in her head. 

The next day Addie was more herself, she knew she couldn't wallow in self-pity forever. 

The subsequent day Addie was having a good day, Elijah was still attempting to teach her to skateboard in their garden. Addie was happy and laughing. She just wished that was how the day had ended.

Addie was settling into the family routine surprisingly quickly, she learnt what to do, what not to do. 

Talk to Harlan about serious matters but do not seek him out and never give physical affection, Joseph was similar but slightly more approachable.

Harry was good for advice and being a general mother hen and Addie was fond of his warm hugs, Elijah was similar but taking a brother role over a mother.

Riley was always up for a laugh but was never too serious, don't expect a helpful conversation, but do expect homework help. Whilst James was able to hold a serious conversation, he annoyed Addie like every brother should but still loved to laugh around and generally loved his twin.

Thomas ,however, Addie was still learning to ignore. He liked to slouch around the house and she often avoided him, only conversing in the upmost of importance (which hadn't occurred yet) or if he growled at her to get her 'tiny ass out his way'.

It was a surprisingly warm night for the middle of November, the sun was slowly setting allowing a golden glow into the elegant Manor house. The family had had a warm meal after a long day. 

Elijah, Thomas and Adeline were all together in the main living room, a football game was blaring on the television. Adeline was slowly beginning to enjoy the sport after Jack had explained all the rules to her.  

Thomas was only half-heartedly watching the game. He was also texting on his phone, Adeline assumed it was a girl. 

A short laugh escaped Adeline's throat as she yanked her foot away from her older brother, her feet had been resting near where he sat and he started poking them, bored with the adverts. 

"Lijahhh, stop" Adeline was trying to wriggle away from her brother, he had progressed to the back of her knee's although the fact that she was wearing jeans was a hindrance to his cause. 

"You called me Lijah" he said with a smile, still tickling his sister. 

"Stooop, Lijahhh"

"Adddieeeeee" he whined back, mocking his little sister.

He had successfully pinned her down to the sofa and was scrabbling his finger's under her chin whilst she screamed with uncontrollable laughter. Thomas was finally distracted from his phone and glanced at his sibling's, a sly grin forced it's way onto his face. 

"James is most ticklish on his lower back" he laughed to himself, content on seeing his little sister suffer in the nicest possible way.

Addie, however, was not calm, she was panicked, she couldn't let him see it, not that, anything but that.

"Elijah NO! STOP!" she screeched at him attempting to get away, he mistook her squirming and squealing as a sign of laughter and trying to avoid being tickled. He didn't stop and so Addie was left defenceless, the only thing she could think of was hiding it from them. She couldn't let them see that

Unconsciously her left foot lashed out at her brother, aiming a kick for his chest. He saw it coming, however, and easily grabbed her white socked foot. He pushed it away from him and lunged at her agin in a playful manner.

"Oi, you little minx" he exclaimed, he successfully dragged her backwards by her foot, still having a laugh. His finger's scrabbled at her back and he pulled the back of her top up slightly to tickle her lower back relentlessly but he stopped still.

Adeline was frozen, fear clouded her judgement, her vision was blurry. Everything she had worked so hard to hide came crashing down because of this. Her chest felt tight and she wanted to be physically sick.

The lack of movement attracted the attention of Thomas who was still sat in the other armchair, he looked up, confused at the lack of exchange between the pair.

"What the fuck is that?"