58: Unhinged Appreciation

Start from the beginning

"Appreciate that." She pressed her forehead against mine. "Ask away, but you'd better kiss me first."

I tipped my head and pushed my lips against hers. Fuck, that warm softness was addictive. She threaded her fingers through my hair, opened her mouth, and pressed harder into me. Long, warm strands of her hair brushed my knuckles. With the soft pokes of her fingers into my scalp, my body responded as she woke it up. Warmth and tension spread through my muscles, from my shoulders to my wrists. I moved my hands over her, clenching her warm, soft skin. She was right here, but I wanted her closer.

With a quiet giggle, she pressed her lips back against mine. Her hair pitched and fell around us in a curtain of soft, warm strands. I smoothed back enough pieces over her ears until her cheeks were visible, then trailed my fingers over her bare shoulders. Ellie overload threatened to consume my senses. Seeing her, raising goosebumps on her bare skin from the trails of my fingers, and tasting her lips surged my blood through my body. It flushed hot, and an ache burrowed itself in my gut. If she sat any closer, she would feel the same strain threatening to break out of my jeans.

Her lips left mine as she inhaled a soft 'Oh,' sound that made me want to nut in my pants. Her sharp exhale fanned warm air over my nose and cheeks. Near deafening pounds of my heart blocked almost all other sounds in my ears, but I needed to slow down, to ask her for more.

How was she this bold? Zero hesitation or doubt shone in her eyes, only -

Fuck. The innocent, warm trust radiating from those beautiful eyes crippled me.

Ellie smiling at me was not helping my thinning restraint. With one reach up and tug on my neck, she pulled me down and kissed me. I slid my tongue against hers and kissed with harder strokes into her mouth until the erection between my legs throbbed for attention.

Don't be that guy.
You're better than a selfish prick.

On that thought, I broke my lips off Ellie's and panted into her cheek. Sweat tickled at my hairline, and my insides burned. I moved my mouth to the side of her neck. She giggled at my line of sloppy kisses down to her bare collarbone. The sparkles were back in her enlarged pupils when I gave her one more kiss on her shoulder and pulled back.

"Ellie?" I forced out a few deep breaths that failed at calming myself down. "Are you sure?"

While I enjoyed every second of this, it wasn't my intention. Was it too far, too fast? My original plans were sandwiches and pasta salad.

Sandwiches. I'd brought sandwiches...not protection.

"I trust you," she whispered the only answer I needed.

My cock mutinied my brain when I grunted between my teeth. "Then we should take this slowly."

Ellie's shoulders tensed at my words. Fuck, she probably thought I rejected her again, but I was more worried I needed to wash my pants in the river if we went any farther. She surprised me with how she enjoyed physical intimacy. Her forwardness was an absolute mindfuck, but I wasn't going to ruin a good long-term thing with a short-term mistake.

Was she naïve or insanely comfortable in her skin? I didn't know, but slowing things down was probably best. I was worked up hotter for a girl than I remembered.

"Ellie," I breathed harder than I had during last night's game. "Unless you want this going somewhere I'm not ready for, we should stop."

The full salute jutting between my legs screamed in pain, but I felt more than the need to make myself feel good.

Totally a first.
Unpack it later, Hightower.

"Today, can I just kiss you?"

When she smiled and relaxed, I'd made the right call. Even if I had to dance the five-knuckle shuffle tonight. And all week. Who was I kidding? She'd given me a month's worth of shower inspiration images.