I wasn't worried. After all, the last patrol was hours ago, and there shouldn't be any nosy teachers looking around anymore.

Although I was late compared to everyone else, I slipped into my brand new pink swimsuit and again in my nightgown rather quickly. Finding my towel in the middle of the dark was a harder task, but at the last minute, I found it at the bottom of the wardrobe. They were all left without me, except for Jade, who patiently helped me look, and we had to run to catch them at the stairs where we were scolded for being too loud. We didn't want to wake up Beth or any of the guides.

It was midnight. I saw it on the big watch that hung from the white walls of the hall once we reached the bottom of the stairs.

Inaudibly, we went to the canteen. Courtney's pocket torch was enough to avoid stumbling over tables and chairs but getting a group of forty-something girls through such a large space with such a short sight in the pitch-black night was hard and I was beyond surprised when we reached the kitchen with no one tripping over. I shouldn't have been so confident. We still had the trip back.

Someone pressed the button, and the ceiling shone bright, clearing our vision. I don't know who was deciding when it was or wasn't safe to have light, but I needed that person to explain the criteria because I just didn't get it. I still don't.

I found a basket in one of the top cabinets whilst the others grabbed a bunch of food and gathered it in the centre of the island. We loaded it with everything they found in the fridge and pantry and got ready for the rest of our journey.

The basket was heavy, and it was taken by Jade and another girl with dark hair and a pointy nose. I think she took Arts and her name might've been Debbie or Devi or maybe Dawn.

No one was paying attention to them or to the fact that they were having a hard time carrying it. When they hit the table and pushed it completely out of its way, knocking out several chairs and falling harshly to the ground, we all stopped dead in our tracks.

Several pairs of eyes were on them, Court's light the only thing allowing us to see them trying to get up.

"Maybe we should go back to our rooms," someone whispered. "If we get there fast enough, they'll never know it was us"

Silence.

I looked over at them. "We're on the ground floor. All the teachers are upstairs. Why are we even worrying so much? There's no way they heard us"

More silence.

They whispered between themselves as Jade and Dawn got up and gently put the table and the chairs back in their original position.

Minutes passed, and we heard nothing from the upper levels, so we resumed our original plan.

The few lights we had enlightened our path once we reached the chilly outside were from the moon and around the school lamps.

Our group moved fast and furtive through the wet lawn and slippy pavement. One shared goal in everyone's minds.

The swimming pool seemed even more beautiful at night. Its crystal water reflected the night sky and every one of its sparkling dots. The few light bulbs on the building were the only thing allowing us to see.

"Are the boys coming?" asked Dawn as she dropped the basket on top of one of the many blankets we laid on the grass all around the pool.

Some of them shrugged, unsure of who was invited and who wasn't. Truth be told, I'm pretty sure only we knew about our secret escape and no one else would step into our party.

"I wouldn't mind seeing Ray here," Jade mumbled under her breath.

Juice bottles, bread, jam, butter and ham were being scattered on the thick fabric of the blanket, and I stole a bit of bread with butter before letting them take out everything else.