The talk

"Cat?"

"Hans?"

I held my hand out, and felt his soft hand. I squeezed, and opened my eyes. I was on a bed, and Hans was stood by me. He was smiling. Both Damien and the girl starred at us, angry looks on there faces, mixed with - what was that? Hurt?

"you wouldn't respond to me," Damien said sadly. His voice sounded deeply depressed. Was there something wrong?

"so we tried Hans. Lucy, you can take him away now."

The girl, Lucy, grabbed Hans by the waist, and tried to get him away. He screamed and kicked, but she was a Vampire, and therefore won the struggle, and she dragged Hans out of the room, before locking the door. I immediately felt insecure, I was alone with a Vampire, and nowhere to run. Not a good place to be.

"Cat, we need to talk."

"about what?"

"about everything. About the boy. Why you're here. Everything."

I didn't want to talk about that. I wanted to go to sleep in Han's arms. Be happy. Not stuck in this prison. Not stuck with Vampires.

"Cat, to start off the conversation, I am going to tell you something. I changed your name."

That made we sit up immediately.

"YOU CHANGED MY NAME??!! You don't have that right!"

"I do, Teddy."

"damn. TEDDY? you name me TEDDY??!!"

"it's cute. It suits you."

"im perfectly fine with Catherine, thanks."

"Sucks to be you, then, doesn't it?"

"why the hell did you change my name, anyway?"

"if you listen to me, you'll know why."

I, reluctantly, sat down, and crossed my arms. His eyes searched me, and then he sat down on a chair at the side of the bed. I waited. So did he.

"well? I thought you were going to tell me something?"

"I am. I was thinking."

"well, stop thinking."

He looked me up and down again.

"OK, here goes. Teddy, I've been watching you. Since the day you turned 13, I've kept my eye on you."

"stalker."

"are you going to listen, or not?"

I shut up.

"when you were 4, you're mother fell ill. Your father has never told you this. He didn't want to tell you this, because that day he made a deal. He promised me, he told me if i saved her he would sacrifice anything, and I told him when he had what I wanted I would call on him. We made the deal, I saved her life, he promised me. When you turned 13, I knew what I wanted. I wanted you, Teddy. Only you."

"Dad wasnt happy with that."

"no, he wasnt."

"why did he do it, then?"

"because he promised. He promised with the promise of life - he would have to live, but you and your mother would die. He didnt want that. He'd prefer for you to have a terrible life than no life at all," Damien sighed. "still, he made me wait. I sat and I waited. He told me, when you were 18, I could have you. But till then, he didn't want you to grow up and for him to not be with you. And I understood. So I waited, and I watched."

"wait, so basically for 5 years you just watched me and wanted me, but didn't take me, and you thought you'd wait for my life to be amazing, then make it a living hell?"

"pretty much."

"you really do suck."

"bite me."

"where's Hans?"

"you're never going to see him again."