Volunteer Work or The Clink

The anticipation of waiting for the door to open was making me bounce up and down, anxious. I pulled my wrists against the handcuffs and I heard a snicker escape Officer Wells. Then, I heard the sound of the lock turning on the other side and the door slowly crept open.

When the door opened, I saw my mother’s frail frame standing in the doorway and the look of worry on her face was swept by anger. Her eyes bored into my soul.

“Are you Mrs. Hayes?” Officer Wells questioned, using his authoritative voice. My mom crossed her arms across her chest.

Miss.” She hissed at them. “What’s the problem?”

“Well,” Officer Crisp chimed in. “Your daughter was caught shoplifting from Mark’s over on 10th and Franklin. My mom gasped, then continued glaring.

“Are they-” My mom began, but Officer Wells put his hand up.

“Don’t worry, ma’am. They’re not pressing charges.” The sigh of relief made my mom’s whole body relax. A few moments of silence hung over us.

“Can we speak with you in private, Ms. Hayes?” Officer Crisp asked. My mom nodded her head quickly.

“Room. NOW.” She voiced to me through clenched teeth. I wiggled my wrists and the familiar jingle of keys came from one of the officers’ pockets. The handcuffs slid off and I ran up the stairs, to my room.

I heard the sound of the front door click close about ten minutes later and laid on my bed. I closed my eyes and tried to pretend I was asleep. My mom barged into my room and closed the door behind her.

“Quit the bullshit.” My mom whined. I sat up and looked at her. She was pacing in front of my closet.

“What has gotten into you? Why’d you try to do it?” My mom asked. I shrugged my shoulders.

“I just wanted the t-shirt.” I explained. She gave me a glare.

“Why? You have everything you want right here.” She gestured toward my laptop and my iPod. That was a lie, but I let that slip.

“The officers and I talked,” My mom began. “And you have to go do volunteer work or the owner of Mark’s will press charges.”

“What?” I exclaimed. My mom pressed her finger to her lips.

“Lower your voice, your brother and sister are sleeping.” She hissed at me.

“Volunteer work or you face jail time.” She stated. I didn’t want to do volunteer work, but jail didn’t sound any better.

“Alright,” I gave in. “I’ll do the volunteer work.” With that, my mom disappeared out of my room without another word. As soon as I laid my head back down on the pillow, my door swung open and she popped her head in.

“By the way, you’re grounded until I say otherwise.” A smile spread across her face, then, she left my room for good.