Strategic Confrontation

As we make our way towards the throne, we're met with a bunch of confused eyes. People whisper and murmur to each other. The royal guard eyes us down.

Royal Guard: "So you're saying you wish to challenge Kurami for the throne?"

Sora nods. Kurami glares at Steph.

Kurami: "You're still sending your servants after me? You do know that this isn't a place for games."

Y/N: "Nor is it a place to disgrace the throne by cheating your way to victory."

There are gasps among the crowd and the muttering has started the increase. Kurami knows she's at risk of being found out. And yet, she still keeps her cool.

Kurami: "What are you talking about?

Sora:"I'm talking about the possibility of our would-be ruler being in kahoots with another race!"

Shiro steps forward, revealing a picture on her phone of the hooded figure that helped Kurami beat Steph back at the Inn. Yet Kurami looks at the device, confused as to what it may be. Ah, the joys of the modern world.

Kurami simply bats an eyelid. She still remains calm.

Kurami: "And what do you mean by that?"

Sora turns his back on Kurami and faces the audience.

Sora: "Well for example, wouldn't Elkia be in pretty big trouble, were the ruler in cooperation with say...the elves?"

Kurami: "So this is just a big scheme in order to accuse me of cheating and remove me from the throne?"

Sora leans forward.

Sora: "Oh, no. As I said it's just an example....

...or maybe it rings a bell?"

Kurami still refuses to back down.

Kurami: "Well, fine. I guess I have no other choice but to challenge you to a game."

Sora wags a finger.

Sora: "Nuh-uh-uh, if you wish to challenge us to a game, then do us a favour and keep your friend out of the equation."

As I survey the crowd, I spot the hooded figure up on the second floor and point to them. All eyes shift to this one figure. Steph, who had been residing up on the second level of the church, removes the hood from the figure.

A woman of long blonde hair. Eyes as blue as the sea and pointy ears. Just what we had thought: an elf.

The crowd reels in shock. Eyes of disapproval are beginning to fall upon Kurami. Step by step, the pieces fall into place. Piece by piece, we become more and more believable.

And yet, Kurami still stands as tall and as confident as before.

Kurami: "You're really working with an elf just to frame me as a cheater?"

She gazes up to the stands.

Kurami: "You can leave this place. Elves have no business here."

The elf obliges, putting her hood back up and darting through the crowd. Kurami looks back to us.

Kurami: "There, satisfied? My apparent method of cheating has been cleared away. Now, as abided by the pledges, you must know that I shall be the one to pick the game we play."

Y/N: "As ordained by Pledge 5."

Kurami: "Don't worry, I'll choose a game where cheating isn't possible. We'll hold the game somewhere else. I'll allow you to get ready and call on you when everything is set up."

My mind is racing. Why should we have to wait? If you're cheating method is no longer on hand, why not just play here? The longer we wait, the more time she has to prepare another cheat. There's little doubt in my mind, she's by no means finished with these tricks.

Back outside we all wait. Steph is pacing up and down the walkway as Sora, Shiro and I rest up. None of us know what may come of this event or what game will be chosen so it's good for us all to rest up in case a game approachs that one of us may be better at. Tic Tac Toe is my kind of game. A game where I can have my opponent read like a book from as early as turn 1.

Or maybe a mind game like Rock Paper Scissors for Sora. He's always had a knack for messing with opponent's heads.

Or perhaps it'll be something that requires heavy thinking, strategy and logic for Shiro. A game that rewards high quality strategy with high quality rewards.

Eventually, Steph stops in front of us.

Steph: "You're saying...she used MAGIC to defeat me?"

Sora nods and Steph points to Shiro's phone.

Steph: "And that...device picks up on the magic? So how did they beat me?"

Y/N: "We aren't sure ourselves. We could never prove if they switched cards while face down. You wouldn't be able to beat her through regular fashion."

Steph is in shock. Sora looks up to her.

Sora: "I'll put this as simply as I can, if say, an opposing country partners up with an Imanity due to a promise of becoming King, they could easily cheat the system and beat one Imanity after the next since Imanity can't pick up on magic at all."

Y/N: "From there on out, this opposing country has pretty much got full control over Elkia through the use of this 'puppet King."

Steph' s face lights up and she leans forward.

Steph "So you think Kurami really believes we're getting help from another world?"

Y/N: "Well, I don't doubt she's aware of Elkia's war between different nations."

I prop my knees up against my chest and rest my head on Sora's arm.

Steph: "Then that's great news! Since she thinks other races will be there, she won't use magic and will be forced to play fair and square."

I let out a lengthy sigh. What's with this girl and seeing the entire world as black or white? Life isn't always that simple.

Y/N: "Well, obviously she would be aware of other race's presence that could actually pick up on her using magic to cheat. She's almost certainly still gonna be attempting to cheat her way to victory. It just won't be as upfront as it could possibly be."

I watch as Steph's happy face slowly descends into pure frustration and confusion.

Steph: "Well, so much for being OPTIMISTIC!"

Sora finally stands up off the bench.

Sora: "Well if it makes you any better, it won't be IMPOSSIBLE for us to win."

Steph: "How is that supposed to make me feel better?"

Sora flashes his infamous smile.

Sora: "Because no matter the odds of victory and no matter how stacked the deck is against us...

Shiro: "You bet that we won't be losing".

Suddenly, we hear footsteps out from behind us. Kurami.

Kurami: "Everything is ready. Just follow me."