Chapter 2

"Oh, my God! This is gold" Prem was laughing like a maniac his eyes bulging out with an evil glint like an eccentric villain from a cartoon who is about to set the world on fire. 

Not the metaphorical kind but a literal one. 

He was looking at the video that I had captured yesterday on my phone where Arthit was twerking his ass to Blackpink lost in his own little world. As much as the sight had made me smirk with mischief thinking about how my goofy boss Prem would enjoy witnessing it, I was so not looking forward to the idiot using it as another opportunity to weave more prank webs. We have loads of work to look forward to and playing pranks is not gonna benefit his company in any way.

"Yeah. You got your gold, Mr. Pirate. Now make yourself scarce before I sink your ship in the sea" I said shooing him away from my office so that I could get back to my work. "Seriously your business is diving into a bottomless pit without me even starting on the pending tax works that you need to sort. It would be great if at least one of us work here instead of playing practical pranks on our friend" I threw at him which of course fell on deaf ears.

"Oh come on Kyle! Don't be a party pooper. Don't you know what the saying goes? All work and no play can make Jack a dull boy" he said in a sing-songy voice. Great, another idiotic philosophy that I definitely do not need right now.

"Fine. I will get back to my office" he said with a defeated sigh and started walking toward the door. He turned around like he had remembered something, "Oh! I completely forgot. There is a party today at Iridian Place hosted by the Suthilaks. We need to start by 5. I will pick you up once you are done with work."

"Wait. Why do I have to go?" I questioned somehow suppressing my mental scream of a dramatic no. I was looking forward to getting drunk and passing out on my couch watching Wednesday on Netflix. Looks like that won't be happening today.

"Because there would be many successful businessmen from prestigious families that I should pay my respects to," he said with a wai accompanied by a charming polite smile that I would never believe in a million years. The man who uses fart sounds in the middle of meetings and in a packed elevator to bring about "humor". His words, not mine. If he thinks for a split second that I would believe he wants to spend an entire evening being polite and respectful to a bunch of rich, pretentious old boomers then he is a bigger idiot than I already think he is.

"OK, now the real reason?" I asked with a raised brow.

"There would be filthy rich people who can give me a shitload of money and I need my lawyer with me when I rob them blind," he said with a villainous laugh and the only thing missing was the red paint on his face, horns, and a tail.

"Now that's more like you" I nodded in agreement.

"Happy to live up to people's expectations" he replied with a shrug and left my office. For the rest of day, he didn't disturb me with any more sudden visits to my office. I should be thankful for that. As for if he managed to get any work done was more than I could ask for. So I pinned it as a conversation for another day.

*****

As we entered Iridian Place, the party was bustling with professionals from various industries all coming together to network and celebrate the success of Suthilak Industries. The business party was a formal event held at a luxurious hotel in the heart of the city. The room was decorated with sleek and modern decor, with tables adorned in crisp white linens and sparkling centerpieces. Guests arrived in their finest attire dressed in tailored suits and elegant dresses, chatting and networking as they made their way to the open bar. 

The main event of the evening was a speech by Suthilak Industries' CEO Kongpob, Arthit's boyfriend, who will outline the company's recent achievements and future growth plans. I could see him as soon as I entered the venue as his charming young CEO demeanor almost always draws attention to him even when he is making any effort to do so. He was talking with someone and laughing at whatever they said. I couldn't find Arthit yet but somehow, I anticipated that he would be here. The more I became accustomed to the place the more I started to feel Prem was right about trying to rob rich businessmen at the party. My eyes began scanning around the room which was filled with a sense of excitement and possibility, as everyone hoped to secure funding and take their businesses to the next level.