27 - Birthday

Esme carefully pipes the flowers onto the white cake she iced perfectly during the early hours. She's nervous; today, King turns 18 and of course they want to celebrate, but is it right? The girls broken and making her celebrate isn't going to help. Either way, everyone needs a cake on their birthday - well, those who can eat, anyway.

Alice sets a gathering of balloons down, smiling wide

Alice sets a gathering of balloons down, smiling wide. "Woooow, to be human again! I bet that'll be delicious."

Esme smiles small and inspects the cake. "I hope so... I just want today to go good for her, you know?" She sighs.

Alice rubs her back gently, half hugging her. "She'll love it, mom. Promise."

Esme smiles gently and moves the cake to the fridge before beginning to make some pancakes. She heard King wake and quickly plates them up, running upstairs. She's stood in the doorway when King opens it, a big smile on her face. "Happy birthday honey!"

Kingsley gives a soft smile. "Awh.... You didn't have to. Thank you." She moves back to the bed and let's Esme set the tray down.

"You said it's tradition, right? Pancakes when you wake up, then presents and then movies..." Esme trails off, remembering a conversation they had a while ago.

King cuts a small piece of pancake off, eating slowly. "I know... Just... Doesn't feel right. Mom isn't here. Billy isn't, Jake isn't. Carlisle isn't. Cai... Obviously isn't." She sighs.

Esme kisses her head gently. "This day is about you, sweetheart. All you. And you definitely deserve that after everything. I'll let you eat, but then I want you dressed. I have a small surprise for you and then after that you can pretend it isn't your birthday if you wish."

King forces a smile and nods as Esme goes. She finishes one and a bit of the big pancakes Esme gave her, setting the tray on the edge of the bed to go shower. The tray is gone when she comes back. King changes into some grey jogger-type shorts and a matching hoodie, putting the hood up as she heads downstairs in her bear foot slippers.

"Happy birthday!" Alice, Esme and Ness say, Ness and Alice popping a confetti cannon as Esme holds the cake.

King smiles wide, a genuine smile. "You guys..."

"Look. Everyone gets a cake on their birthday, okay? And they get presents. We only have one present." Alice says, grabbing the small gift bag. "Then we can pretend this is any other day, minus the cake you have to eat."

"I'll help eat it!" Ness grins.

King giggles small and hugs them all gently. "Thank you guys. I hate money being-"

"We didn't spend a penny. We thrifted, I suppose you can call it." Alice grins.

King sits on the couch as Esme sets the cake down and sits by her, Alice on her otherside and Ness stands in front of her. She gently pulls the tissue paper out of the small bag, lifting the flat box out. A gasp leaves her lips as she opens it. "Woah..."