01 - Painful Goodbye

She stands by the grave she stood by only 3 days ago, the day she said goodbye by throwing dirt onto her mom's coffin. She wears her short black hair in a messy ponytail, the same one it's been in since the funeral, and her mom's favourite pink knit sweater. She kneels down and touch the dry dirt, a few tears falling on to it.

"I don't wanna leave you again." She whispers as her nails dig into it a little, just wanting this all to be a bad dream - it isn't, of course, and reality is they were preparing for this for months.

5 short months ago, just after New year, her mom collapsed. An MRI lit up like a Christmas tree as they investigated why - cancer. What kind? You name it. What started out as ovarian cancer had quickly turned into lung cancer, liver cancer and a large tumour in her heart. The doctors were stunned into silence at how she was still alive, or not bedridden with sickness.

They knew why she wasn't... Kingsley.

She was her world and she was hers. It was them against the world, forever. Of course she does have her father, Billy, but he lives 2500 miles away, near Seattle. Carly, her mom, lived there for a while with a few friends after college which is where she met Billy; when she found out about King, and the fact he was married with 2 daughters and a son, she fled. It took her a solid 2 years before she let him into the girls life - the only problem was, like I said, Ohio and Seattle are thousands of miles apart.

I suppose it was a good thing, she didn't get caught and there was no drama. She and Carly had a peaceful life over there, she grew up near her grandpa before he passed a few years ago, and they had some amazing friends. She's a B average student, 97% attendance - well, until recently - and life was perfect.

Was.

Now she's gone, and King won't ever get to tell her how much she loves her once more. That's all she wants... And it's hard to come to terms with the fact she won't get that chance again.

She hiccups and kisses the marble headstone, closing her eyes as she hugs it for a moment. "I love you. So much. And I won't ever ever forget you. I'll be back one day, I promise." She whispers before wiping her cheeks and sitting back. She sits there for a moment before grabbing her bag and standing, pulling her black jeans up and dusting her backside off. She takes a deep breath and heads to her black car, an old Ford, driving back to the empty apartment.

The neighbour arranged with child services to watch King for a few days while she arranges the flights to Forks - yep. That bubble is just about to burst and she is not ready. Not now. But she doesn't have much choice. At 17, she can't afford the apartment all alone even with her insurance and work pay out. She decided she's gonna save that money for college and adult hood, not going to waste it. She wants to make her proud.

Just as she parks in the parking garage she feel's the phone vibrate; she sighs heavy and raise her hips, digging into her pockets to grab the phone quickly. "Hello?" King mumbles numbly, not even checking who it is.

"Hey sweetheart."

Her eyes well up once again. "Dad." She says in barely a whisper.

"Shhh, it's okay. How you holding up?" He says softly, his gravelly voice warm.

She wipes under her eyes and leans her head back, staring at the roof of the car. "I j-just went and said goodbye... And this morning I donated most of her clothes."

"She'd be so proud of you, King. So proud. You've been so strong."

She forces a smile, obviously he can't see but it was more to make herself feel better. "I hope so..." She sniffles. "W-Will you be at the airport tomorrow?"