Chapter Sixteen | The Guard

Jane leads my to a large wooden door in the basement of the Castle and turns towards me.

"This room is where all member of the guard train their gifts and general vampire strength. There should be some guards training right now." Jane explains. 

"Sweet, maybe I can train my gift as well." I respond.

Jane nods her head and opens the door for me. I look around the rather dark room lit by torches posted along the tall walls. As most of the castle does, it feels as if it's from another time period. I see two vampires sparing with each other. One of them being the mountain vamp I met earlier named Felix. The other is darker skinned male with dread locks and crimson red eyes. 

When the two vampires hear the door close behind me and Jane they stop fighting and look at us. Felix walks towards us with his sparring partner close in tail.

"Good to see you again Polaris, I see Jane is giving you a tour. What do you think of the castle so far?" Felix greets me, smiling.

"Its fucking massive. I probably won't live long enough to even figure out my way around it." 

Felix lets out a small chuckle at me and then looks towards his sparring companion who begins to introduce himself. 

"Hello your majesty, My name is Santiago. I am one of the strongest guards on the Volturi. It's an honor to meet you." Santiago says and bends down to kiss my hand causing me to giggle from the oddness of his behavior. 

"Just call me Polaris, and treat me as an equal and a friend. I am no royalty no matter what the jackass Caius says." I explain. 

Santiago stands up straight again and smiles at me. 

"Less formal, I like it. I hope you and me will become good friends Polaris... I have heard you have quite a strong gift Polaris, would you care to show us?" Santiago says.

"Fuck ya, I love a chance to use my gift.. Now which of you has eaten the most recently you think?" I ask wanting to show them the blood controlling aspect of my gift first, since it is probably the strongest and most useful part of my power. 

The guards look confused at my question but decide that Santiago has eaten the most recently since he ate some poor tourist last night. I hold back my feelings of anger about the tourists death as there is nothing I can logically do. 

"Okay, can everyone step back from my besides Santiago?" I ask as I ready moving into a stance to use my gift. Everyone steps back and I start forming my magnetic current power in my hands. 

"Heads up Santiago, this will feel odd." I say as I raise my hands and as a result Santiago floats off the ground. I keep my magnetic powers current linked to the iron in his blood as I slowly move him farther and farther off the ground. I then lower my hands bringing Santiago to a carful landing. Santiago wobbles around, most likely feeling nauseous from me controlling the blood in his digestive system. 

"I think Im gonna get sick. I have not felt this bad since I was human." Santiago complains as he reclaims his balance. 

"That was bloody amazing." A vampire says behind me scaring me. The vampire man walks over to me with another vampire behind him.

"I am Demetri. Sorry we startled you Polaris, we were heading in here for some training and witnessed your impressive display of power." Demetri says offering his hand to shake which I accept. 

I assume he knew to call me Polaris from Felix telling him since maybe they are close friends. I then look towards the other vampire who was following him and let me just say she was beautiful. 

"Hello Polaris, My name is Heidi. It's great to finally meet the cause of Caius's more than normal foul mood, I have never seen him so affected." Heidi says, offering her hand to shake as Demetri did. 

"Its great to meet both of you as well and is Caius really in that much of a bad mood?" I ask.

Demetri nods his head. "Yes he is. This is expected though, from my experience mates can affect vampires in strong ways. I mean after all, you are now his life." Demetri explains.

I laugh and say "Well he deserves to be upset, after how rude he was."

"I don't disagree, it's about time someone stands up against Caius. Am I right?" Demetri says.

All the guards and I continue to make small talk and I start to realize, maybe it would not be all that bad living here for a while. I know all these vampires kill people but I guess they don't have much of a choice due to being a vampire. It is extremely hard to be a vegetarian from what I know. Even if me and Caius do not along, at least I get along with the guard. 

Hey y'all, thanks for reading! Sorry for the slow update time! If you still enjoyed the chapter please vote to support the book, see you next time!