When the Ball Drops (New Year's Eve Special)

Description: Things have been going a bit south for Yukio and Shura today. But when the clock strikes midnight and the ball drops, things will take a turn.

✖️✖️✖️

December 31, 2014- 5:31 pm

The flying demon got away. Just great. A failed mission was the last thing Yukio wanted- much less needed.
"Chill out foureyes~" Shura smiled, resting her blade on her jacketed shoulders. "It's not like it's that bad or anything.. Hey!" she struggled to chase after the same flying demon they couldn't catch, which has now stolen her sword.
"Damnit!" she cursed under her breath and turned around to see a smirking Yukio. "Cut it out, scaredy, you probably would've been worse.

She was right. The exact same demon snatched Yukio's pistols. "Hey!! Come off it!" he tossed a holy water bomb at the demon, but it fell back down. The creature had already increased its altitude.
"What purpose does it have with our weapons?" Yukio animatedly threw his hands in the air.
"Told ya you'd be worse than me," Shura chuckled.
"Hey, Shura-san, have you noticed something?"
"What? And drop the honorific."
"Well, Shura, we haven't had any successful missions in days." Yukio wondered. "Do you think we could be in a-"
"Slump." they said in unison.
"That's awful. We can't have a slump for the start of the year." Shura knitted her eyebrows together in sarcastic worry.
"Get over it scaredy! Yer such a perfectionist!" she hit him on the underside of his head and laughed. "I'm sure our luck can change next year. After all, it was just a couple of misses in our record." Shura said in a random attempt to cheer him up.
Yukio merely groaned and started back to True Cross.

On the way back home, the duo was surprised by the cram school students high-fiving each other.
"Why is everyone celebrating?" Yukio asked Bon.
"Had five exorcisms in a row this week," he said happily. "We're on a roll!" he and Shima did a confusing handshake.
The brunette male couldn't take this in. He hoped this slump wouldn't last too long.

His frustration definitely showed during the academy's New Year's Party and Ball Drop Ceremony.
"Yer drinking an awful lot. More than me, actually." Shura observed amusingly, halfway through her third bottle of beer.
"I just hope this slump doesn't continue into the new year," Yukio sighed and emptied his fifth bottle. "How many minutes till 2015?" he asked, hoping it would come sooner.
"A minute and a half." Shura said, cracking another bottle open.

The students were still dancing, drinking punch, being nerds, spilling drinks, the usual student stuff. Shura wondered what made her fellow exorcist so frustrated over getting exorcisms.

"30.. 29..." The countdown began early.
"I'm going to the bathroom. Real quick." Yukio rushed, a folded piece of paper flying backwards from his breast pocket. Not seeing it, it headed straight to Shura's hand.
"What the..." she opened it.

New Year's Resolution
1. Finally outbest nii-san
....
He wrote a lot more stuff about surpassing Rin, but there was one at the bottom that was way different than the others.

10. Tell Shura :)

It was encircled with an arrow pointing to it that said: IMPOSSIBLE.
Shura thought for a while. What would Yukio want to tell her. Well to be honest, she had one thing to tell him as well. And now she understood him.

"15... 14..."
Yukio returned from the bathroom.
"Hey foureyes, ya have Shiemi for when the ball drops?" Shura teased.
The male exorcist narrowed his eyes at her.
"If you should know, I do not. How about you?" He said.
He wasn't really feeling the mood to talk about how his romantic life, it wasn't any better than him right now.
"No, but I have to tell you something." Shura started.

"10... 9..."
"You don't have to be worried about being better than Rin, because you already are. Look at yourself right now. You're a double time worker! Heck, you work yourself to death thinking that he's still better. And if in the end, he becomes better than you, be happy with what you have, Yukio." Shura faded off at the last part.
"That's the thing! I don't have anything." Yukio replied quietly. "And where did you find that?" he turned a crimson color remembering what he wrote at the last part.

"5....4..."
"Flew out of your pocket earlier."
Shura gave him a guilty smile. "But you know what, we have a similar resolution," she grinned and turned tomato red herself, and Yukio turned even redder.
"What is it?" he asked, avoiding eye contact.

"3....2..."
"I love you." they said in unison.

"1!!! Happy New Year!!!" the ball dropped.

Just in time.

✖️✖️✖️

Happy New Year!! I wrote this last minute on New Year's Eve, I hope you guys like it!! Up next is the long-awaited: From Me to You II.

Read | Comment | Vote

otakusguild_