Chapter 3- It's my birthday I can cry if I want too

Chapter 3 

Present day

I have to admit my mom was smart, just mentioning my best friends name had me up and out of my room in a flash.

"Mom, I'm out!" as I raced toward the door. I almost made it out the door when I heard my dad's voice. "River Skye"

"Dam"

"I heard that" Did I mention that wolves had very good hearing? "Sorry dad, I'm coming"

It seems like ever since I turned 16 my dad had flipped his lid. Any boy that came within two feet of me, he growl at. My mom said, it because I wasn't a child anymore and I wasn't so sure that's all there was to it. Besides Masons my best friend, and I only get to see him in the summer. Well the summer and my birthday. He always manages to come back for my birthday. That's what make's such a fab friend!

Trevor paced as he waited for his daughter to emerge from her bedroom. His mate looked up at him and smiled.

“Sweetheart, you’re going to have to have to sit down. You’re making me dizzy.” She laughed. Trevor stopped and looked at Amanda, “she still take’s my breath away every time I look at her” With that he took two strides and pulled his mate into his arms.

“Well it looks like you’re busy, so I guess we can talk later?” Please say yes, please yes I pleaded silently.

My dad growled at me, letting me know I was close to crossing the line. My mother gently place her hand on his arm and just like that my father relaxed. I want to have that effect on someone like that one day. A love like my parents. Do humans cherish each other like that? Will I ever know that type of devotion? Sometimes being different sucked.

“I just meant, that Tracy is probably waiting for me” Oh boy, I’m not sure that sounded any better.

“She’ll wait” I quickly added. Bowing my head like a good girl. My father shook his head in exasperation letting me know I was fooling anybody.

“As you know, going to the mall is a privilege. I expect you to be on your best behavior.” He said looking at me expectantly. I nodded my head so he would continue talking. Anything to speed this lecture up. I love my dad, but sometimes his lectures could last FOREVER.

“There are a lot of dangers for young girls out there. Not everyone respects young ladies like our men are taught. I’m not talking just about humans either. There are other types of supernatural beings out there. Any one of them would love to get their hands on an Alpha’s or a Beta’s daughter. Promise me you will obey Mason’s every command? I know he’s your friend but he’s also next in line to be Alpha and should be treated as such. Do you understand?”

It hurt me that my dad thought that I didn’t have any common sense. I was about ask what had I done to make him feel that way when I caught my mother’s eye shaking her head.

“Yes, dad I understand, I love you and I would never intentionally let you down.” Before I could blink I was enveloped in a bone crushing hug.

“Baby, you could never let me down. I’m so sorry you thought that’s what I meant. My job is to protect you. When you’re away from me I’m always afraid that something could happen to you. You’re all we have. You’re our baby girl. Mason’s an Alpha meaning he’s stronger, faster and more intuitive than the average wolf. He’ll sense danger before anyone else. Now do you understand?” I blinked back the tears that were streaming down my face and didn’t bother to wipe them off. I looked at my mother who was openly crying as my father was rubbing the small of her back.  His own eye’s shining he added” You we’re our miracle River Skye, when we were at our lowest point in our lives, there you were like an angel dropped from the heavens. You saved us. We’d do anything to keep you safe.” I ran to my parents and let my father gather me up in his lap. Something I hadn’t let him do since I was 13. The love I felt for my  family was overwhelming in that moment. I wanted to stay their little girl forever and never grow up.