XX. la mer, i. from dawn until noon on the sea by Claude Debussy

Start from the beginning

"Eddy, I'm sorry. I really am." Brett said all of a sudden.

"Brett, we've been over this. You don't have to say sorry, I understand. I know. Let's just enjoy your day and talk about it tomorrow. I don't want you to feel bad on your birthday." Eddy said honestly and felt the atmosphere relax a little.

They were quiet after that. When Brett finished his food and Eddy paid for it, they walked on the shore. The sun was rising and its rays slowly warm up Brett. They were walking side by side until they both settled to sit down on the sand. Both didn't say anything, allowing the waves to be heard.

Brett closed his eyes and sighed. He set a distance between him and Eddy. Eddy didn't mention it, but he allowed it. He knew Brett was still feeling guilty. So what he did was hold Brett's hand. Eddy wasn't mad or sad about the whole situation. He was just waiting for Brett to tell him the truth.

He felt Brett go closer to him and laid his head on his shoulder. He could feel the tears stream down the older's face. He wiped them all away, hoping that the older will stop. Eddy was shocked when he felt Brett place a soft kiss on his neck, but didn't move away from the affection. It might be the last one he will ever get.

Eddy stood up and asked Brett to do the same. He really didn't know what to do so he just ran away from Brett.

"If you can't catch me, you're a violist." Eddy screamed and laughed.

"Oh, you're on, Viola King." Brett said as he ran towards Eddy's direction.

For a moment, they forget what truly happened last night. Brett finally got a hold of Eddy and tackled him. Brett was on top of Eddy as they both panted. They were tired by their impromptu game. Brett giggled and Eddy was laughing loudly.

"Who's a violist now?" Brett challenged, not removing himself from Eddy.

"You're still a violist, old man." Eddy said laughing.

"What did you say, Eddy?"

"You're still a violist, old man." Eddy said slowly, emphasizing the sentence.

"You asked for it."

Out of nowhere, Brett started tickling Eddy. Eddy screamed at the sudden attack and he tries to get Brett off of him.

"What did you say again, Eddy?"

"Okaaay, you're not a violist anymore." Eddy said breathlessly. "But you're still old." Eddy added.

Suddenly, Brett got quiet. He was only looking at the younger boy beneath him. He smiles to himself as Eddy closed his eyes. Their bodies were pressed so close against each other and their faces was inches apart. Brett closed the gap between them and Eddy just allowed him to do so.

The kiss was soft, almost apologetic. Brett was still holding Eddy close and Eddy just allowed Brett to do so. They pulled away and Brett gestured for Eddy to sit down. Eddy followed as Brett was still straddling him.

"Thank you for always understanding, Eddy." Brett said genuinely.

"It's not something to thank me for, Brett." Eddy said as he avoided Brett's gaze.

"Still." Brett said as he lightly grabbed Eddy by the chin. Making the younger look at him. "How did I ever deserve you? You're too good for me."

"Maybe." Eddy said quietly.

"No, not maybe. Definitely."

They were wrapped around in silence again. Staying in that position until they felt the sun slowly hurting their skin. Brett held Eddy's hand and made them stood up. It was now noon and they didn't realize the time moving.

Brett never let go of Eddy's hand. He still can't believe that this younger man was patient enough to deal with him. They walked back to the hotel and Brett lied down on the bed. He felt the tears spill out again. Eddy said nothing and sat next to the bed.

Eddy tried so hard not to cry. He didn't want Brett to feel even worse than he already did.

"Eddy we really need to talk about this. About us." Brett said, voice nasal due to the tears.

"You don't have to tell me, Brett. I know. I already know, I've felt it." Eddy said, brushing the older's hair back. The older continued to cry and Eddy just comforted him.

"Please just make sure that it really can't be us, okay?" Eddy added, a hint of sadness and longing in his tone. Brett said nothing, he held Eddy tight and just let the tears stream down his face. Eddy closed his eyes and stopped his tears from falling.

"You're still my best friend. You don't have to worry about losing me. I'll always love you, Brett." Eddy said, still holding Brett and holding his tears back.

"I'm still in love with you, though." Brett whispered.

"No Brett, you still love me but you're not in love with me, anymore. It's okay. I know, who would love me? I'm difficult. I won't ever hold it against you. I know myself as much as you know me."

"Eddy, I still want you as my love. This morning, when you did all of that for me, it's when I knew that I'm still in love with you and I still love you. You've done so much for me and you've even put your feelings aside just so I could have a great birthday. If that isn't unconditional love, I don't know what is. I'll be better, please. Just don't let me go." Brett declared.

"You better make sure this time, Brett. I'll hold you to that." Eddy said as he kissed Brett again.