HER PROMISE

"Tell me that you turned him down Scarlett." A masculine voice, raw with emotion yelled. He pounded on my door shaking the entire frame.

"What in god's name," I groaned as I opened the door. My heart skipped a beat.

No.. It couldn't be. The familiar green eyes, the scar on his forehead and the faint scent of cologne reminded me of the old days. The days of happiness and excitement. Landon Johnson stood there shivering and soaking wet from the rain.

"Please baby, tell me you turned him down," He reached out to place a hand on my face and I almost melted into him right there and then.

"Landon," I gasped. I still couldn't believe it. He was here- He was here! The new wrinkles in his forehead and glint of wisdom in his eyes made me realized he was wiser but he was still that handsome man I had fallen in love with.

"Baby," He repeated. His eyes swirled with mixed emotions as he grabbed my hands. The ring on my finger confirmed it. His face dropped with disappointment.

"You said you would wait," He whispered. "Forever." His eyes flickered, as they searched mine desperate for an answer.

"What was I supposed to do?" I screamed. "It's been 8 years Landon. Where the hell did you go?"

"I was busy Scarlett!" He roared. I was practically seething with anger as I took a step forward and shoved him as hard as I could. Years and years of pent of frustrations released my hands powerfully as he stumbled back. 

"Every single night I waited for your call, for an email - anything," My voice cracked and tears streamed down my face. He shook his head, distraught and apologized repeatedly.

"Baby I'm sorry. The military needed me."

"Mom?" A little girl called. A girl no older than 7 rubbed her eyes and grabbed my hand.

"Honey come here," I said still crying. I avoided Landon's eyes as I picked her up and faced him.

"Meet your dad." Landon froze as tears welled up in eyes. He stumbled in disbelief as he stared at the little girl.

"I turned him down Landon, " I admitted, still crying . "This ring is a promise ring I got for you..Her names Casey, named after your mom. I had her after you left.. I-" Landon enveloped us in a hug.

The rain outside was still pouring heavily but at least the storm in my heart was resolved.