CHAPTER 9

Paul's P.O.V

I slowly awoke to the sound of muffled screaming. What? How could I hear screaming? I was in my bedroom. I sleepily rubbed my eyes as they opened. Then I saw it... It stood tall in front of me. It was... It was... A massive gem? The time travelling gem, it stood tall, maybe 50 times taller than me.

Why was there a massive gem? How did I even get here? I ran towards it when I heard the muffled screaming, louder than before. I took a closer look at the gem when I noticed something. It was John and Lucy. They were trapped inside the gem!

I ran towards the surface and pressed my palms on the ruby coloured surface. John ran to the wall and placed his palms in the same spot but on the other side of the wall. I needed to try and get them out. I'm still so confused, how did I even get here to begin with?

I then heard a sound from behind me, it was Adriana, she was flipping through some records, a massive grin on her face. She placed the record on the record player and turned it on.

"No!! Stop!!" I shouted on the top of my lungs, she didn't listen. The record spun in the pin and the music came out, I've never heard anything this loud in my entire life. The force of the sound pushed me to the ground as I frantically covered my ears. My eyes drifted over to the gem which John and Lucy were trapped in, it was disappearing!

"No!!" I shouted again. I couldn't even hear the sound of my own voice. The gem was disappearing! John and Lucy were disappearing and there was nothing I could do about it. It was all my fault, I should have stopped Adriana from playing that damn record! Didn't I learn anything from last year?! Am I dumb, or something?! I hate myself! I hate myself! I hate myself!

****

I jolted awake and immediately rubbed my eyes. I rubbed my fingertips together and felt some salty liquid, tears. I uncovered myself and took a look around. It was all a dream. But the part that wasn't a dream was that Lucy and John could be in danger. I took a moment to try to adjust to reality. I got out of bed and went into the room where George and Adriana were.

Now I know why there was music in my dream, George had gotten out the record player and started introducing Adriana to some music. I don't think she's entirely familiar with it.

"This is Elvis, do you know Elvis?" George asked.

"My mum likes Elvis," Adriana answered. "He isn't really my taste."

"Okay then, you can look through to see if you can find something you like," George offered handing the box of record's to her.

Adriana flipped through the records, the bright patterns of the album covers flashing before her eyes.

"Hello," I greeted quietly. I tried to hold back my raging anger I had towards Adriana.

Once George heard my voice, he stood up and walked towards me. "Good morning, Paul!"

I tried hard to smile but it didn't work, smiling or even happiness didn't exist to me if John and Lucy could be in danger. "Um, did John and Lucy come back?"

"Sadly, no," George answered.

"I really do hope they are okay and that they will come back," I said. "Anyway, what are you guys doing?"

"Oh, I'm just trying to introduce Adriana to some music that we like. She doesn't seem to know much," George answered sitting back down next to Adriana.

I joined them and watched them go through the records. I didn't feel like talking so I sat there silent. My mind was running at a hundred miles an hour with thoughts, guilt, fear and pain. I was afraid that if I spoke my voice would squeak.

"What's this one, with the cake?" Adriana asked picking up a Chuck Berry album.

"Oh, that's Chuck Berry is on Top. It's a really good album, it has Johnny B. Goode on it, you might know that song," George said putting the record on the pin and turning on the player.

"Is there any rap in here?" Adriana continued flicking through the records.

"Um, no I don't think so." George had no idea what Adriana was talking about and neither did I.

She then started saying these words really fast, "uh summa-lumma, dooma-lumma, you assumin' I'm a human, what I gotta do to get it through to you I'm superhuman?" She looked upon our confused faces. "Sound familiar? Eminem?"

"Lollies can sing?" George smiled slightly.

"You uncultured, swines."

"Well, I'm sorry we don't know about that. But, we um, we could learn about it! I'm sure we'll like it!" George had an unbelievably open mind.

"Nahh, you guys will never understand how great rap is!" She looked at both of us then spoke again, "Is there any Taylor Swift in here?" Adriana was persistent with her weird names.

"I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about,' George chuckled as he said this.

"Ugh, you guys are so boring. You don't know what real music sounds like. You don't know anything but those weird Elvis songs. You guys remind me of my mum," Adriana rolled her eyes, "and you guys don't even have WiFi, whose heard of a house without WiFi?!"

"Ugh! Shut up! I can't take it anymore! I'm losing my mind, do you understand that, girl?! You've got nothing to worry about compared to me! You're worried about some weird things, WiFi or some sh*t! I have lost two of my best friends and there is a chance I could lose them forever! So, can you please shut up and let me try to gather my thoughts. You have a really annoying voice, by the way!" I yelled at Adriana.

"Paul! Have some respect!" George defended Adriana.

"You don't understand, George! Lucy and John were the ones who stopped me from losing my mind! Now without them, I'm losing my mind! I'm going crazy!" I shouted before burrying my face in my palms.

"I understand, Paul. You just need to be mindful of other people. Adriana didn't do anything to you."

"She didn't do anything?! She didn't f*cking do anything?!?! She is the one who caused all of these problems!!"

"Okay, I'm sorry if I caused anything, Mr Beatle! Anything I did was an accident and normal people forgive other's when they make mistakes," Adriana said sternly. "Also one other thing..."

I knew nothing nice could come after this sentence...

"How does my mum find you attractive??? Like seriously! Those TikTok boys are way better looking!" Adriana slammed her hand on the table and walked off.

"Adriana!" George called after her stumbling to his feet.

"So, now this b*tch calls me ugly?!?" My words were soaked in anger and hatred.

"Calm down!!" George grabbed my shoulders and pushed me firmly back on the couch. "Paul, come on... Why are you being so moody? Just be kind..." George looked at me, shaking his head, disappointed.

I didn't say anything, I didn't know what to say! I looked down at my feet. George sighed and followed Adriana to try and calm her down. I suppose maybe I'm being too mean...

Songs mentioned:

Rap God by Eminem (This song bops ngl)

Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry