After a few seconds of staring wide-eyed at the library in awe, my eyes landed on Carlos. He looked pretty much the same, except for the dark circles under his eyes. His hair was also very messy, as if he'd spent hours running his hands through them. The sleeves of his white undershirt were rolled up, showing off his veiny forearms.

"Are you done?" Carlos asked, the corner of his mouth pulled up in a smirk.

"Done with what?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Giving me a once over," Carlos shook his head, chuckling.

I folded my arms across my chest. "I was not giving you a once over. But if you're just going to annoy me, then I'll gladly return to my room."

I was prepared to leave, as I turned around but was stopped when Carlos grabbed my arm, his eyes twinkling.

He let go quickly, his eyes dropping to the floor. It felt extremely weird to be touched by Carlos. But...it didn't feel bad.

"I think you'll want to see what I have to show you today," Carlos grinned.

"Is it another book?" I asked, hopefully.

"Nope- better."

"What could possibly be better than books?" I sighed.

"You'll see," Carlos smiled, his eyes mischievous. I rarely saw this mysterious, secretive side of Carlos and no matter what I said, I was intrigued and curious as to what was making him act this way.

"Here," He handed me a long black piece of fabric.

"What's this for?" I asked, quizzically.

"Just put it over your eyes, Madeline," Carlos sighed, exasperatedly.

I obliged, even though I was extremely confused. Why was Carlos being so secretive all of a sudden? What did he need to show me?

"I can't see anything," I protested, as Carlos led me out of the library. Where were we going?

"That's the point, Madeline."

Just as I predicted, I tripped over my own feet and almost broke my head, but was saved by Carlos. I couldn't see anything but I could feel his arms around me.

I cleared my throat, "How much longer till we get there? I doubt I can be stable for any longer."

"Hold your horses, we're already there," Carlos said. "You can take off your blindfold now."

I quickly pulled off my blind fold and was amazed by what I saw. It was a hidden room, hidden behind a painting- like the secret library. It was decorated to look like a rain forest, with leaves and branches dangling off the ceiling. There were chairs and chaises, a row of bookshelves, drinks. The most beautiful part of the room was the 'waterfall'- a slab of rock that had crystal clear water sprouting from it.

It was the most beautiful room I'd ever been in.

"What is this place?" I asked, stepping in, my heart beating rapidly in excitement.

"This is where I come when I want to be alone. My mother made it for me when I was born. No one knows about it," Carlos admitted.

"Then why did you show it to me?" I asked, suddenly feeling like I was imposing on something.

Carlos looked deep in thought, "Honestly, I don't know. Amancio doesn't even know about this place."

I turned to Carlos, only then realizing how small the room was. The room, with all its splendor and wonders was still incredibly small and we were almost touching.

"Thank you, Carlos. I know how much this place means to you and I really appreciate you showing it to me," I said, truthfully. My opinion of Carlos had changed drastically since the start of the competition. I had realized that he wasn't just a cold, heartless prince- he had a heart, and a good sense of humor too.

I proceeded to take a seat on one of the green beanbags, next to the 'waterfall'. The room was dim, not too dark but not too bright as well. It was absolutely amazing.

"Tell me about yourself, Madeline," Carlos' voice interrupted my thoughts.

I stuttered, not knowing what to say. "I think you know everything there is to know. The one who needs to talk about themselves is you."

Carlos sighed. "True. Where should I start?"

I shrugged. "From the beginning."

Carlos nodded, downing what looked like a glass of alcohol. "The only happy part of my life was when my mother was still alive. She taught me everything I needed to know about books and life in general- until she died when I was 5. Her death took a toll on me because I was almost definite it wasn't a sickness like they claimed. It was all very random, and I was heartbroken.

"I was even more heartbroken when my father married Amelia just a few months after my mother's death. Don't get me wrong, Queen Amelia has been a good stepmother- she just isn't my mother. I felt lonely and angry- like no one understood me. Not even Amancio, who'd been by best friend since we were born. Then Barbara was born. We've never really gotten along- I mean, I've tried but she doesn't seem to want anything to do with me.

"I guess I kind of gave up on people altogether. Especially with this competition. Just like you, Madeline. I like to have a choice. I hate the fact that the Ladies are forced to parade in front of me like cattle and I'm supposed to pick one of them when I'm not even sure of myself. I have a duty, and my duty is to protect Aridia. But sometimes I feel like I'm doing the wrong thing- like no one understands me."

I don't know what came over me. I never knew Carlos felt this way and hearing him pour out his feelings made me feel closer to him, like I could relate with him. On impulse, I took Carlos' hand in mine. He looked at me and it was almost as if he was about to cry, his eyes glassy.

"I understand you."

I don't know how to explain what happened next. It was extremely random, unprecedented, uncalled for- you name it.

I kissed Carlos.

No, Carlos kissed me.

Woah, ok who was expecting that? Last chapter of the day! Who do you ship Madeline with- Amancio, Carlos or none of them? What do you think of the kiss?

Don't forget to stay safe and wear your masks. Please vote, comment and share. <3