Chapter 7

Gage: Good morning!

I saw Gage's name appear on my phone and smiled. He had been texting me everyday and I was, in a way, expecting his name to pop up on my screen now. I was about to reply when another message came.

Gage: Are you ready?
Me: Yes, just eating breakfast.

"Where are you and Gage going Katie?" My Aunt asked in between mouthfuls.

"Nothing specific just that we were going swimming."

"Oh, I'll ask him when he comes to get you."

"Don't ruin the surprise dear. Let them be." My Uncle said and winked at me from across the table. His approval made me feel better knowing that he was okay with this. I heard my Aunt sigh. She always had a soft spot for my Uncle, they listened to each other although it may seem like she was the strict one, she was just a worrier. When I told her I was going out with Gage today the worried look on Aunt Mel's face had finally faded away. She was reluctant at first but was happy that I was going out again, that slowly a part of me was finally coming back.

"Let us know where you are okay?" My Uncle told me.

"Of course!"

Bailey and Michael already left to convoy with the others to the beach. She was guilty at first that she was leaving me but I assured her I was fine and with the grin on my face, she knew I wasn't pretending. I was looking forward to the weekend. I would say I wished I was with them but I was honestly just thrilled to be able to spend time with Gage. I didn't care where we went. I was looking forward to this day for the last week that I woke up really early to make myself look presentable.

Gage: Ok. I'll be there in 20.
Me: K.

I was taking the last bite of my bacon in between texts and hurrying up before he came so we could leave at once.

When the doorbell rang I kissed my Aunt and Uncle goodbye. I had my purse with me and took a last glimpse of myself in the mirror on the way to the door before opening it.

"Who replies with just a letter K?" He said as I stepped out of the door. I guess that reply didn't sit well with him. I was laughing inside. He was faking an annoyed look.

"Me obviously.." I was having fun sassing him. I couldn't wait to see what we were going to do today.

We walked to the car and I couldn't help but notice how good he looked with his slightly ruffled hair, plain white shirt and cargo shorts.

"Where are we going?" I asked Gage when we got in the car.

"I'm still not telling you, you'll just have to wait and see."

"Fine." I said relenting to his wishes.

We were on the road for nearly two hours before he drove into a dirt road and parked in the middle of nowhere. I didn't know what it is with him and these isolated places. If I didn't know he was a trusted friend of Michael and Bailey I would be scared half to death already.

We got out of the car and that was when I noticed a short shoreline. It took awhile before I realized we were by a lake. There was a wooden walkway a few meters into the lake, it was a place I only saw in pictures and movies that it took my breath away. There were only a handful of people there which made me grateful that we left early.

"This feels so surreal, it's breathtaking and we didn't even have to drive that far from town." I said looking around and seeing the place for what is really is, a hidden paradise.

"Yes it is. It's hidden in plain sight yet sometimes those places are harder to find. Things that are easy are not cherished as much as those which we worked hard for but even the easy ones deserve to be cherished, just like this one." He said referring to the view before us. I loved how simple things were when I was with him. I held not only a better appreciation to the things around me but also with life in general. Before I met him I no longer cared whether I lived or died, I was my pain and it was me. Now though.. things have changed.