Chapter 8

I texted my Aunt where we were before we started eating and I couldn't help but remember the first time we went out on a spontaneous dinner and realized this was only the second time we would be eating a meal together.

"So how many hearts have you broken?" He asked me.

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you that?" I replied after the initial shock from his question.

"Not as much as you have I'm guessing." I laughed out loud at his ridiculous assumption.

"It constantly surprises me how you don't see how you affect the people around you.. And me." He wasn't laughing and that made me shut up.

His words took me by surprise and even though I knew he liked me, I always told myself it was a fleeting thing. I gulped and inhaled deeply before saying anything else.

"I just don't believe it." I said avoiding his gaze. He felt his eyes on me waiting for me to continue. "I don't understand. Why me?" The question just flew from my lips without further thought.

"Why are you doing this? Why do you like me?" I asked in a low whisper. I was ashamed of asking but I needed to know, I hoped he heard it but at the same time praying that he didn't.

"Ever since I first laid my eyes on you, I wanted to get to know you." He said reaching for my hand. "I didn't understand it, it's like a part of me just knew that I needed you in my life. It's hard to explain but the past couple of weeks have been the most calm I have ever been. You're one of the most amazing people I know, you're beautiful, kind and you are so strong, I can't see anybody else." He said it so surely that I knew he meant it. I didn't doubt his words and smiled unabashedly at his confession. 

"You're quite amazing yourself." I told him.

"Only quite?" He was making fun of me again and I laughed nodding.

"Why don't you call me Katie?" I asked him feeling bolder knowing our feelings were mutual.

"Because everyone else calls you Katie and I didn't want to be just like everyone else. I want to get to know you, all of you, and calling you Katie is like knowing just a part of you. Am I making sense?" He answered me without pause.

"I think." A bit confused. He laughed at my response.

This doesn't feel real, everything coming out of his lips were words every girl wanted to hear and I didn't doubt them, I knew he was sincere, it's just that I doubted if this would last, but I also had to trust him when he said he wasn't going anywhere.

We ate the rest of our meal in silence. I felt him looking at me but I brushed it off. I had to get used to it if I was going to spend so much time with him. If I was being honest with myself I liked that he kept looking at me. I felt beautiful, more so than when he would just tell me.

      xoxo

We decided to go back to the lake and spend the rest of the afternoon there. I didn't want our memory together at the lake be blemished by what I did awhile ago. I wanted to eclipse it with better memories and that was what we did. We swam around the lake and kissed under water. It had a different kind of adrenaline, holding our breaths, feeling his hands on me, trying to stay afloat, it was nothing and everything all at once.

"It's so peaceful here." I said after our swim. I sat beside him at the walkway and waded my feet on the water. "Can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead."

"What happened between you and your father?" I asked waiting for his reply. I knew they weren't close but I didn't expect how he would react with my question. He froze on me, there was an angry look on his face but it was overshadowed by the  pain as I saw him pulling away from me.