Chapter 4

It wasn't loud like I expected, there were only a handful of people and they were all gathered outside by the pool. I've never been to a house this nice before, I don't think I'd want to live in a place like this. It felt too big, too open and when you're alone, it just felt empty. But tonight, it was full of life.

"This way." Bailey led the way to the guest room so we could leave our things before heading outside.
I looked around while Bailey used the bathroom and took in every detail, the chandelier, the open space of the dinning room leading to the kitchen and living area. It was like the houses you would see on tv, only this was real. I was sounding ridiculous but I couldn't help it. It was hard to imagine someone living such a luxurious life and now knowing someone who did and that someone is dating my cousin.

"Hey Katie!" His voice startled me I almost jumped. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"Michael.. Hi, Happy Birthday!" I greeted him giving him a hug. I've only met him twice but he was so friendly I couldn't help but like him immediately.

"Where's Bailey?"

"Here!" I turned and saw her heading our way, beaming.

"Happy Birthday baby!" She squealed and threw herself at him as he wrapped her in his arms and lifted her off her feet. They just saw each other yesterday yet they acted like it had been months. I envy her carefree smile, and how easily she laughed. I didn't know when I'll be able to feel that way again, maybe I never will.

Finally they were able to break away from each other and the three of us headed outside. There were lanterns hanging on every corner and several lawn lights. Music was playing and everyone were gathered on the table the food was laid out on a separate table while someone was grilling.. Barbecue. I closed my eyes and took a whiff.. it smelled heavenly.

When I opened my eyes I saw him watching me with a smile slowly appearing on his face. I didn't notice him when we first came in. Gage was the one on the grill. He had some mad grilling skills if everyone was depending on him for the food.

"Katie, let's go get food then we'll introduce you." Bailey gave me a knowing smile, she didn't wait for a reply and simply grabbed my wrist pulling me towards the table.

We filled our plates while the entire time I was conscious of Gage watching me. When were close enough to the grill on the way to the table, I heard him.

"Good to see you again Katherine." The way he said my name. It made my stomach to somersaults.
We reached the table and Michael clapped his hands getting their attention.

"Guys, this is Katie, Bailey's cousin." He said and everyone looked my way and smiled, a guy shook my hand another even went as far as hugging me.

"Adam! Hands off!" Bailey said swatting his hands away. He simply chuckled and winked at me.

"That's Adam." Bailey pointed to him obviously, then she went on pointing to the rest of them naming them one by one. " Samantha, James, Elijah, Riley, David, you've already met Kristen and Gage is over there."

"Hi!" I forced a smile and waved. Kristen was Michael's sister and apparently she and Bailey got along really well. I only met her once and already took an immediate liking to her.

I sat between Bailey and Adam. I noticed an empty seat beside Kristen that must be Gage's seat.
"Hey Katie." He said leaning in closer pretending to whisper.

"You know you could tell Bailey to lay low on the PDA with Michael. She'll listen to you." He said loud enough for Bailey to hear beside him. She ignored him.

"Fuck off Adam." Michael said with feigned annoyance. He continued to play with Bailey's hair twirling it with his fingers. It was obvious Michael was crazy in love with Bailey, he worshipped her and they looked adorable.
Adam snickered beside me and continued eating. After awhile, Gage sat down beside Kristen and soon the chatter got louder. As I ate I tried to hear what he was saying, I wanted to hear his voice again, it had been two days since I last saw him, and that was when we went out. My mind had been conjuring up different reasons as to why I haven't felt his presence but then why would he? It was just one date. There wasn't any indication from him that he would like to see me again after. Maybe he didn't want anything to do with me and my sob story, maybe I looked at it in a different way than he intended it to be but the way I felt his eyes on me just now and the way he said my name, it was something else.