Chapter 18: Halos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I stare out the window of Zayn's car, I feel nervous. We were visiting the village to attend a convention in which we bring fun and positive flows to kids who harm themselves and starve themselves to become someone they are not. He wanted me to do this because I'm seen as someone special. Because I'm the princess I guess, but he said that wasn't the case. I knew what it felt like to go through abuse, to cut myself, and starve myself. To feel alone and empty. 

"You can change lives whether you see it that way or not." Zayn says looking over to make sure I'm ok.

Before the banquet, it was in Zayn's family tradition that we choose a convention to attend. Zayn chose this for me. He thought it would help the both of us. Especially me. 

"It's going to be hard... You can't just stop someone from hurting themselves" I blurt.

"You can try..." He says looking back at the road.

"You mean a lot to the people in this village." He finally says before pulling into a parking space.

This time, I grab for his hand and we walk into this huge building to the left of us.

There were kids probably aged from 14 to 17 here in this clinic. 

"There are even 12 and 13 year olds here." Zayn adds reading my mind. I cover my mouth with hands. Young as 12? 13? That's horrible. 

He guides me to the middle of it all and eyes look at us from here and there.  I look around and see the whole pack wearing red T-Shirts. 

"We're helping out with the kids" Eric and Ethan say at the same time as if reading the confused expression on my face. I nod. 

There were small groups of kids talking about their problems and setting goals as to how they are going to try and stop. 

This 12 year old girl was wearing a baggy sweatshirt that covered her arms and her neck. She looked innocent. She was really skinny but looked good. She wasn't communicating with anybody and was sitting in a chair looking dead at me.

I looked back at Zayn, and he nodded as if to say "Go ahead".  I walk slowly towards the girl and pull up a chair in front of her.  She had long auburn hair that was put up into a high ponytail. Her eyes were a light brown and her face was rather thin and gentle looking. 

She looks away from me to look out the window.

"I know who you are. Don't bother introducing yourself." She says. Her voice was soft and smooth. 

"..Uh...Right... So.... What's your name?" I ask.

"Dawn..." She not looking at me.

"Beautiful name....uh... is there anything you want to talk about?" I ask still looking at her. 

"What are you my therapist?" Her attitude was unexpected. 

"You think that just because you're freaking royalty you can walk in here and change someone? What are you even doing here? With kids like us? We're nobodies. You have all the riches and everything and you're wasting it on me. You're so perfect." She says looking back at me with sadness and anger filled in her eyes. I stare shocked.

"....First of all ... fix that attitude. You're only 12 and you're talking to a person that's older than you. Don't ever use the term royalty around me. Because, honey, before all this I was just like you. I cut myself, I starved myself, and I was abused. I don't need anyones sympathy, and I know you don't want it either. I know what it's like to be just like you. I may be considered rich and wealthy but it doesn't mean that I act like it. I'm not over here acting like I'm better than everyone else am I? I'm not over here feeling sympathetic am I? Giving attitude like you've struggled your whole damn life. I'm not perfect. I'm imperfectly perfect. You don't know the half of it." I almost run out of breath as I finish.