Chapter 26

It was the second week of the second semester when as I was leaving the house to head to school, my mom pulled me back by the hood of my sweater.

  "Wha-" I choked as I almost fell backward.

  "Is that the biggest hoodie you have?" my mother asked as I rubbed my neck.

  "I mean, yeah. Why?" I asked. I had other hoodies but this was the biggest one I had and I was practically drowning in it.

  "Baby bird, your wings are showing." I tensed at her words. That meant my time at school would be cut short. I knew it was going to happen eventually but I was hoping it would happen later than sooner.

  "I'll text Janet to meet me at the base. Can you call the school, mom?" I asked. She nodded and walked away before reminding me to let my friends know. I got my phone out and pulled up the group chat affectionately called 'Bitch Brigade'.

   Bad news guys, won't be in school today. Will keep you updated.

  It wasn't long before I received a text back from Jen.

  BOOOOO! who else is gonna keep me company in class :(

  Then another text from Jared.

  Jen you ho, I'll still be there. Gonna miss you, Raven! 

  Finally a text from Emily.

  Let me know if you need help with anything. I have a presentation today that I will happily ditch class to avoid. :/

  I pondered what to say next before settling.

That's not very Class President of you.

  I knew that Emily had been flaking on a lot of her duties as class president and it was a little worrying but you couldn't blame her with all the things we go through.

  I marked the messages as read before switching to Janet's contact, quickly sending off a message asking her to meet me. I jogged upstairs to drop off my backpack and quickly got dressed in my new outfit. I was still in awe of how comfortable it was, especially for my wings. 

  I shouted a quick goodbye to my mother before taking off. Flying without a care in the world will never get old. It's just me and the clouds, wind flowing through my hair. The cold air bit at my nose and exposed arms but it didn't bother me, it felt refreshing.

  Janet was just pulling up when I landed on the roof. I glided down into the alleyway and entered with her. Box greeted me at the door by headbutting my legs and weaving between them. I walked over to her bowl and put down some wet food. Box had an automatic feeder, but some wet food was always a treat to her.

  "Nice threads kid! Looks good on you! Can't wait to see Emily's later." Janet said while putting down her bag on the couch, "Now, what the problem?"

  "My wings have grown." I replied, flaring my wings out a bit, trying to exhibit my point.

  "Yes, that happens when you have a diet that gives you lots of nutrients." Janet said bluntly. I rolled my eyes.

  "My wings have grown to the point they stick out the bottom of my sweatshirts and hoodies." I explained.

  "Oh, I'm sorry. I know you liked it at school." Janet guided me to a more open space before taking out measuring tape.

  "We all knew it would happen sooner or later, I would never be able to live a normal life. It was nice while it lasted though." Raven sighed. Janet measured out Raven's wingspan and typed it out onto her phone.

  "Well, your wings certainly have grown a bit, and to be honest I'll think they'll grow some more." Janet stated, moving my wings slightly to inspect my feathers.

  "This sucks." I huffed crossing my arms. I wouldn't be able to hang out with my friends as often as I would like now.

  "Hey, it's a good thing. It means you're healthier than you were when we found you." Janet pointed out. I knew she was right.

  "Well, I can't go to school so I'm going to fly around, see if anyone needs my help or anything." I said, changing the subject. Janet just nodded, probably knowing I did not want to talk.

  I drifted around the city for a while, it was mostly quiet as many people were back to work over the holidays. A lot of the decorations had already been taken down save for the lingering Christmas lights on a few houses. 

  Valentine's day would be coming up soon. My parents had explained what the holiday represented and what was celebrated. I found myself wishing I could attend the Valentine's day dance with Emily. I had been planning to ask her as a friend, worried she wouldn't go with me romantically.

  I'll have to think of something better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The art is by DanasGoneCrazy on Twitter!