Chapter 13

The journalists and reporters quieted. Rebel was hacking on the floor. I bent down to look at him, examining him.

"What happened? You had an oxygen tank." I propped him up and after seeing a couple flashes, used my wings to shield him from view.

"G-gave it to the family once I found them." I gave a soft smile.

"You're so damn selfless, you know that?" He shrugged, then coughed again. "Where's the keys to your bike. I'm gonna have an officer bring it back to the station." He nodded and coughed again. He dug through his pockets, handing me some keys. I tossed it to one of the officers.

I bent down to pick him up gently. He pushed me away. "I can walk myself." He used me to steady himself and stood up triumphantly.

  "That's all well and good, but I'm going to fly you to the warehouse so walking is useless." Rebel groaned. I picked him up. Camera flashes and clicks started up again. Shouts were directed toward us, escalating in sound.

  "What happened the day you dissappeared!?"

  "Where did you go!?"

  "Do you know who targeted you!?"

  The shouts echoed in my ears. The public rarely knew what Rebel and I were doing, besides fan updates and sightings.

  My wings pounded on both sides of me, lifting Rebel and I higher into the sky. I did not go to high as the air was to thin, he was having a hard time breathing as it was.

  When we finally landed, Janet was already there. She pulled down Emily's mask and put an oxygen mask on her. Emily drifted off, exhausted from blaze. Janet and I walked out and lounged in the sitting room. She set down her drink and looked at me.

  "You know, while we're here and all, we might as well give you a check up." I grimaced and she shrugged.

  "If you're worried about me, you shouldn't be. I'm fine." I stated. I took another sip of my drink. Janet shook her head.

  "We both know that's a lie. Even if you're fine physically, something could be...not good mentally." I choked on my drink, surprised by her honesty. I didn't like to acknowledge my...issues.

  "You think I'm crazy?" I asked leaning forward, genuinely curious. She cringed.

  "Not quite crazy, but it's hard to believe after everything you've been through, there wouldn't be any," she gestured wildly, trying to find the right words, "underlying mental issues."

  "Since when are you my shrink?" I stood up, startling her.

  "Since you stopped going to your actual therapist!" I glared at her. I was fine.

  "You're not well! When was the last time you ate?!" I froze. I couldn't remember.

  "I-I-" I couldn't breathe.

  "When was the last time you had a full night's sleep!?" I fell backward onto the sofa. I looked to the floor, as if it would give me an answer. I couldn't remember.

  "I-I don't know." I spoke softly. I felt the couch move and a hand rested on my shoulder.

  "I'm one of the only people in the world who knows your physiology. I notice things. You were made to last in war like conditions. However, it's not healthy." I nodded. Looking back I realized I'd been running on one meal and three hours of sleep a day.

  "Have you been having nightmares?" I nodded. I would wake up in a cold sweat most nights. I hardly remember them in the morning.

  "I'm going to prescribe a sedative, it'll help you sleep. Seeing as Christmas is tommorow, you'll need it." She got up and left the room, returning quickly with a bottle of pills. "Take one before you sleep. They'll give you a good six hours to sleep, and it's around midnight so you'll be home in time." I nodded again.

  "Are you ok, Raven?" She was right next to me. A comforting presence.

  "No." I leaned into a hug, just glad I wasn't alone.