Chapter 4

"Malpractice suit?" Taeyong asked. Doyoung nodded.

The two boys were sitting at the dinning table, eating dinner that Doyoung had cooked while discussing their day at work. Doyoung had told his friend about the various surgeons he had met and what Jaehyun had said about the last Head of Cardio at the hospital.

"That's exactly what Jaehyun said." Doyoung told his best friend. Taeyong simply bobbed his head, putting another spoonful of food into his mouth.

"I think I remember hearing about it, but apparently there wasn't enough evidence so the case was slid under the table." Taeyong said. "The hospital's reputation would definitely be severely affected if the lawsuit did go through though."

"Yeah, I bet. A malpractice suit is probably one of the worst things that could happen to a doctor." Doyoung said, agreeing with Taeyong's words. "Anyways, tell me about that trial you conducted today."

...

"Haechan, did you make sure Minjoo took her meds?" Hana asked as she walked with the brown-haired intern in blue scrubs.

"No, that girl is crazy, I swear." Haechan replied. "Why do you make me do nurse work, anyways?" Haechan added, making Hana stop in her tracks. She turned to face the male, hands on her hips.

"How in the world are you going to perform surgery one day if you can't even help a little kid take her meds." Hana asked as Haechan's shoulders slump in defeat.

"Sorry Dr. Kang." Haechan immediately replied, bowing his head. Hana looked away, letting out a deep breath as she thought about a punishment for the intern. Lucky for Haechan, Jungwoo was running down the halls, a folder in his hand.

"Dr. Kang, Sooji's scans came back!" Jungwoo called out. Hana glanced at the intern in front of her.

"Well today's your lucky day." Hana told Haechan before turning to Jungwoo. "Call Mark, I want all of you looking at this case."

"Yes, ma'am." Jungwoo quicly replied, giving Hana a small salute.

...

"Hm, that's not too good." Hana said as she stared at the images in front of her. She was with Jungwoo, Mark, and Haechan, looking at the scans of Sooji's heart. She took a step back, allowing the two residents and intern to take a look.

"What do you see?" Hana asked them.

"A heart." Haechan replied. Hana rolled her eyes.

"Obviously, a high school student can answer that. What's wrong with it?"

"There's a hole." Mark said, pointing to a black line. "In the wall separating the two lower chambers of the heart."

"Very good." Hana said before glaring at Haechan. "See why there's a big difference between interns and residents. Jungwoo, since you've been following me with this case, tell me about the patient and why she was hospitalized." Hana instructed. Jungwoo flinched at the sound of his name but took a deep breath and did as told.

"Yes, well Sooji is a four-year old girl, born with a heart defect. She was recently hospitalized because she was not eating well, having trouble breathing, and easily tired." Jungwoo said.

"Good, now Haechan, after looking at the scans and hearing what Jungwoo said, what do you think this girl has?" Hana asked the youngest in the room.

"Um, a heart defect?" Haechan replied.

"Specifically?"

"A hole in her heart."

"I need a term. Come on, you didn't graduate medical school to give me these dumb answers." Hana tapped her foot as Haechan bit his lip.