Guts

Season One - Episode Two
Word Count: 1826

Sat with a pile of mushrooms in front of them, I watched as Lori and Amy mindlessly sorted through various kinds they had collected over the day, a look of mild confusion on Amy's face as she inspected one, "How can you tell if they're poison?" She wondered aloud.

I saw Lori shrug with a slight smile on her face, "There's only one sure way I know of."

I couldn't stop the chuckle coming out of my mouth, my eyes catching Lori's at her insinuation, knowing full well we were screwed. None of us had any idea which mushrooms you could eat, which were poison and which ones were going to make you see dead people walking.

Oh wait, you didn't need drugs for that one.

But Amy clearly didn't understand the joke, and instead just flickered her eyes up to Lori's in question, "Wait until Shane gets back?"

Amusement covered Lori's features and I'd bet my life that it had on mine too, a smile tugging at the corner of my lips. Instead of explaining, Lori simply nodded with an attempt at a serious face, "Yeah, you've got it. Thank you." As soon as I saw her push herself onto her feet, I took a few steps towards them with folded arms, but she only arched her brow at me, "You know, you don't have to come with me."

Shaking my head adamantly, I spoke, "And you know I'm not letting you go out there alone."

Lori had quickly become a motherly figure to me, I mean, she always had been considering my mom was never in the picture and how close her husband was to my dad, but since she outbreak our connection had really grown. Carl was my brother, I don't care what any DNA test said, he was exactly that. And I promised Rick that I'd protect him as he was, because he was.

"Alright," she tutted, dusting off her palms as she turned to look up at Dale, raising her voice slightly, "Dale, we're heading out." She turned back down to Carl, placing a protective hand on the top of his head, "Sweetheart, I want you to stay where Dale can see you, okay?"

Carl, already knowing what was coming, simply nodded, his tone flat, "Yes mom."

I quickly pointed an accusing figure towards him with a mischievous smile, "And no kissing Sophia, we can't have her running off because of you."

Pulling a disgusted face, Carl's cheeks burnt bright red as he ran away from his laughing mother, a sound that we didn't get enough these days.

Dale stood slightly, resting his binoculars to the side as he glanced down at the two of us, "You too. Don't wander too far. Stay within shouting distance. And if you see anything, holler. I'll come running." He promised.

With a teasing eye roll, Lori nodded, "Yes, mom."

Chuckling at the two, I gave Dale an acknowledging nod before Lori and I made our way into the surrounding woods. "I love old men," I laughed out slightly, loving Dale's constant, accidental, wholehearted humour. He was so precious.

"Don't tell your dad, he'll freak out," Lori pulled her own repulsed face, the similarities to Carl uncanny.

"Ew, gross, not like that," I automatically defended, feeling bile raise in my throat. It only earned a loud laugh from Lori.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed my dad sneaking up behind Lori, his finger to his lip in attempt to shush me.

This'll be funny.

Pretending not to notice, I continued walking by Lori's side, deeper into the woods when suddenly my dad's hand came around Lori's mouth, pulling her tightly against his front. She muffled out, fear evident in her eyes as they widen but my dad was soon to shush her, his grin large.