meeting the brother 1/2

remus

breakfast at hogwarts means lots and lots of food. porridge and cereals of all kinds, mountains of toast, croissants, berries, piles of hash browns, crumpets and hundreds of tubs of jams of all flavours. and yet sirius hasn't touched a single thing.
"what's up pads?" i say, placing a hand on my boyfriend's knee reassuringly.
"oh nothing" he smiles weakly at me, but i know he's not telling me the truth. i watch as his eyes flit to the slytherin table.
"is it regulus?" i say looking over at sirius' little brother. they look awfully similar to each other, but regulus has a far less warm presence and is a bit shorter than sirius is. he's also far more reserved and unsociable. i often feel sorry for him, when he sits with his horrible friends.
"yes it is" he sighs taking my hands in his.
"he knows about us, and i'm so worried he's going to tell mum"

walburga would do her best to prevent me dating sirius. and that's putting it mildly.
"okay, well he might not say anything. right?" i gulp.
"he might not" but the look in sirius' eyes tells me something different.
"do you want me to talk to him?" i ask
"no, no that might make it worse" he sighs, resting his head on my shoulder in defeat.

"hey" a soft voice from behind snaps us back to reality. we turn around and i'm met with the exact same grey eyes as sirius'
"hello reg" sirius says tightening his grip on my hand.
"can i sit down?" he hovers nervously
"of course" sirius answers

he perches on the bench next to me, looking slightly out of place with his emerald and silver tie in a sea of scarlet and gold.
"i'm regulus" he says nervously, extending a hand, i shake it in relief. it's a good start.
"i'm remus" i beam, making his lips curl into a smile. instantaneously, this remote, withdrawn boy opens up. he seems happier, and far more welcoming, and generally nicer.
"please to meet you. so what lessons have you got first?"
and just like that the ice is broken.
"herbology, sirius is a total nerd for it" i chuckle as sirius nudges me lightly.
"am not!" he laughs.
"don't tell anyone though" i whisper to reg "he's got his cool reputation to keep up"

we all laugh and tell stories together, i have no idea what sirius was talking about. regulus seems so accepting and kind.

and i'm very grateful for it.

                                     sirius

regulus, remus, james, peter and i leave the breakfast hall. i leave it with not only a full stomach (after remus forcing me to have some toast) but also a full heart.

regulus is on my side.

it makes me feel beyond happy. that i can be myself in school without the worry of him telling our mother. it's just when we're walking down the corridor to lessons he pulls me away from the group.
"you alright reg?" i ask
"yes, i'm good." he smiles "remus is very nice. you two are made for eachother" at what he's just said he grimaces "okay that was cringey i'm sorry, but basically, i'm happy for you siri"

me and regulus never hug, but i take this as the opportunity to start. he freezes in my arms before he relaxes his muscles and hugs me back.
"this better not become a regular thing" he says breaking apart "public displays of brotherly affection"
i laugh
"nah don't worry reg" i ruffle up his head of hair.

maybe i did underestimate him.

2 blissful weeks pass since the talk with regulus at breakfast. everything has been perfect. me and remus have finally been able to publicly display that we are a couple and regulus has been just as supportive as james, peter and lily.

everything was good. great even. until the post arrived on a usual wednesday morning.
"let me sort out your tie you scruff bag" remus laughed as he sorted me out,
"i'm not a scruff bag!" i chuckle "i'm wild"
remus raises an eyebrow before bursting into laughter. it's such a beautiful sight. remus happy. i could look at it all day.
"posts here!" james beams staring up at the influx of owls. there's barn owls, tawny owls, short ones, big ones, old ones and young ones.

our family owl, a jet black one drops a red envelope in my empty bowl. i gulp. i never get mail from home. and this isn't just any mail.
it's a howler.

"oh fuck" i laugh half heartedly but remus isn't fooled for a second. he puts a reassuring hand on my knee as i tear it open with shaking hands.
a horrible, shrill voice screeches out.
the voice of walburga black.
"HOW DARE YOU SIRIUS BLACK. HOW DARE YOU TAKE OUR NAME AND TAINT IT AS YOU HAVE DONE. HOW DARE YOU ROMANTICALLY INVOLVE YOURSELF WITH... HIM. HIM! I CANT BELIEVE YOU WOULD EVER DO THIS! YOU DISGRACE ME! REGULUS WOULD NEVER DO THIS. NEVER! IF YOU DO NOT END IT, YOU SHALL NEVER SEE MY FACE AGAIN. MARK MY WORDS, YOU WILL WISH YOU'D NEVER BEEN BORN"

the letter catches fire and crumbles into a pile of ash. shaking, i look up to remus, he looks as scared and shocked as i do. i can feel the whole hall's eyes burning into me as the remainder of the letter sizzles gently.
"oh siri..." remus whispers,

but anger quickly replaces the initial shock.

regulus. i look over to the slytherin table and instantly lock eyes with him. he's like a rabbit in the headlights. anger pulsates through my body as i tense my muscles.

i trusted him. i really trusted him.