Chapter Nineteen - The Slug Club

The world around Ariadne seemed to dull into a thick silence, she ran through the hallways and corridors as if chased by hellhounds, the blood rushing to her ears was all that the sixteen-year-old could hear amidst the guilt and self-hatred that clouded her mind. Ariadne arrived at Ravenclaw tower just in time as three lower year students opened the porthole, she was not in the mood to answer a riddle from the bronze eagle.

She passed through the group and felt her heart lift up at the sight of Alison waiting for her by the open window of the common room. Ariadne rushed to the empty seat, out of breath and exhausted, she reached over to the windowpane and shoved it farther, allowing the cool breeze to drift into the room. "I can't go to the party."

"Why not? Did something happen in the ten minutes you were gone?" Alison asks, jokingly. Her cheerful disposition instantly dissolved when she noticed how pale Addy had become coupled with the serious glaze over her eyes that seemed to look like she was grieving. "Oh. That's not a problem, we can always stay put. Have a little party of our own – "

"I triggered Minerva into an attack."

"... That doesn't sound very good. Is she alright?"

"It isn't. And I don't know. I panicked and ran for Uncle Harry, and that was it. Now, I'm here after running up what seems like ten flights of stairs. I know he would ask me a hoard of questions after he was done consoling Minnie, and the thought of coming to terms with what I had done... I can't face either of them. I'm not even mad at her anymore, I haven't been for the longest time now – I just don't know how to fix things between us." Ariadne gushed, feeling a massive weight on her shoulder dissolve as soon as she unleashed her word vomit. "I'm sorry, but do you mind if I just lie my head down for a little while?"

"Not at all." Alison's spine bolted straight up, alarmed to see Ariadne move from her armchair into her own, snuggling next to the fifteen-year-old girl with her legs pressed against her chest. "I just need to close my eyes for a moment," Ariadne whispered, resting her head on Alison's shoulder.

"It's no problem. I'm here for you." She answered, finding the courage to wrap her arm around the sleeping Addy, prompting the girl to snuggle closer into her. "Thank you for being my friend, Ali."

"Thank you for being mine."

Left: Alison; Right: Ariadne

~

Sabrina kneels at the foot of Minnie's bed, peeking through the gossamer curtains that surrounded all four posters. "Do you need help with your hair? I learned a new braid from my mum, and I'm just dying to try it out on someone."

The lump under the duvet had finally moved. Minnie poked out her arm, pale and streaked red, and pushed away the curtains, allowing Sabrina to enter her little cave. The two girls had been friends since their childhood, their bond having been formed by their mothers who often set them together on playdates. With Sabrina's mother, Seraphina Lynch, frequently engrossed in the world of the Holyhead Harpies combined with an absent father, Emily took it upon herself to babysit little Sab from time to time.