Chapter One - Radio Silence

"Madam Potter, I highly doubt – "

"Please share your doubts to me on another day, Mister Jarring. I have my children to escort to King's Cross." Emily interrupted, hastily buttoning the cuffs of her sleeves. "In the meantime, don't hesitate to leave a message with Rowena. We'll continue our meeting then."

"Very well, Madam." Static prevails over to the Senior Undersecretary to the Minister's side of the line, and yet, she knew that he was still holding off on something important.

"Get on with it before I hang up on you,"

If this were a real face-to-face conversation, Emily would expect him to avert his eyes from her while he loosened the knot of his tie in such a nervous manner. "The Minister of Magic wishes to see you at your earliest convenience, Madam."

In the snap second, Emily's fingers fell from her wrists, her arms following through and slumping to her sides. The heavy wooden door of her study slowly crept open, peeking in was her husband who motioned it was time to leave for London. She gestured for Draco to quickly enter the room and listen to Mister Jarring. "Go on, Stuart."

"I know not of the nature of which Minister Shacklebolt holds the meeting for, but I believe that you and Madam Granger have been summoned in his company."

Every curse word Emily had in her book infiltrated her mind like the plague, it was quite obvious that everyone in the room knew what it meant, but the false sense of innocence that Mister Jarring upheld was infuriating. "Alright, Stuart. I'll let Rowena know to inform the Minister when to set the meeting. Has Granger been informed?"

"I have yet to speak with Madam Granger."

"No worries. I'm meeting her today; I'll break the news to her."

"Thank you kindly, Madam."

With the snap of her fingers, Emily turned the radio off and faced Draco who had already mirrored her shocked expression with his hand covering his mouth and his free hand poised at the hip. "Merlin Almighty – "

"Calm down now, Draco – "

"Don't tell me what to do – "

Emily laughed boisterously with her eyebrow turned up with boldness. "I'm going to ignore that and just blame how excited you are about this," She gently took her husband's hands into hers, gradually applying pressure. "We don't even know what this is about, love. I'd really rather not get into speculation."

"MUM, DAD! LET'S GO!"

She sighed heavily upon hearing her daughter's bellow. Draco nodded dutifully and embraced his wife, "Ros' right, we should go now. We'll talk about this later, darling." Emily smiled weakly and waved him off, "You – You go ahead and start the car. I'll just take a minute to recollect myself." Draco looked at her, unsure to really leave her at such wavering emotions, but he knew Emily down to her bones and believed that all she needed was a breath of air alone. He smiled, kissing the top of her head before heading downstairs to their children's aid.

Emily turned around and pressed her back against the door, her gaze falling short on the radio on her desk. She wanted nothing more than to break the contraption with a Beater's Bat, but alas, it was Ministry property. It was part of Hermione's Environmental Bill to reuse vintage Muggle radios to reduce the use of paper for memos, letters, and howlers among other things. All Ministry workers were required to have one in their offices, but an additional radio had to be installed in the home offices of workers in the higher ranks.

 All Ministry workers were required to have one in their offices, but an additional radio had to be installed in the home offices of workers in the higher ranks