truth // angst // TW

she's gone.

saihara dropped to his knees as the spike ridden piano dropped onto akamatsu's now dead body. momota and harukawa rushed to his side.

he barely noticed them. he just cried and cried.

eventually, monokuma made everyone go back upstairs, much to saihara's dismay. he could barely stand to go back without her.

but, he did. because he had to.

going up the elevator felt like a year. he could feel everyone's eyes burning on him. he pulled his hat down, now even more uncomfortable with looking people in the eye.

the second the elevator stopped, everyone filed out.

well, except for saihara and ouma.

"...saihara-chan?"

silence.

"i..i'm really sorry." ouma said before he dashed off, presumably to his room.

saihara just stared after him. he was surprised he'd shown some empathy, for his behavior towards others significantly proved otherwise.

he shook his head and went to his room.

————————

the next day, saihara could barely stand to get out of bed. momota had come to his door to convince him to go to the dining hall, and he figured he might as well try to get his mind off of her.

he decided to leave his hat. for her.

when he came into the dining hall, however, he instantly regretted his choice.

he once again felt everyone's eyes on him; he felt like he couldn't escape all the judging looks.

"you finally got rid of that emo hat! is this 'cuz kaede died or whatever?"

that sure snapped him out of it.

"ouma!" momota whisper shouted at him, giving him a menacing glare.

of course it somewhat hurt saihara, but he couldn't help but chuckle at ouma's description of his hat.

"he laughs!" ouma giggled, dramatically gasping.

"alright, you know what?" harukawa glared at him. "you had better shut your mouth before i do it for you. permanently."

"oh, alright, alright.." ouma laughed it off.

saihara smiled. at least someone was still optimistic.

then he remembered yesterday.

"saihara-chan..? i...i'm really sorry."

saihara wondered if he meant it.

————————

when saihara returned to his room, he felt a bit more optimistic, but of course still upset. the second he shut his door, he felt tears well up in his eyes he didn't realize he was holding in.