Chapters 13-2

I looked at William and Faïz. They seemed determined not to tell them any more.

— "They must know!" I finally exclaimed.

— "No!" barked Faïz

— "It's too late. They already have one foot in this story. They want answers, and they are my friends, Faïz. We can no longer pretend that nothing happened," I tried to argue.

— "You'd just put them in a little more danger. Is that what you want?"

His jaw tight, Faïz couldn't contain his anger. I turned to William, who was still leaning against the desk, now looking embarrassed.

— "Zoe... Maybe they don't want to know more," he said. "This is already too much for them. Their opinion matters, do they not?"

William was not wrong. Indeed, I was speaking for them without even considering how my friends might feel.

— "Asarys, please talk to me," I begged her.

She looked through the skylight, thinking at that moment about what she wanted.

— "I always wondered what the Dome was doing there," she began. "Okay, we were told about the risks of attacks and possible threats in California, but all the other countries are just as concerned as we are. I always felt there was something else here. The atmosphere of this state is so...unexplainable. So, yes, I want to know exactly what this is about. There's no way you're bearing that alone."

David and Lexy also agreed with her. Faïz carried both his hands to his face, understanding that he had no choice but to tell them everything.

— "If that's what you want, know that everything you thought you knew so far is nothing compared to the reality of this world. Everything is much more obscure. I warned you."

This is how he began his long story. I got in the background, leaving Faïz to explain everything to them with the help of William, who completed some passages. The Callis, The Maestro, the genetic experiments that led to the birth of the first Leviathans, the Sylphs... They were spared nothing. My friends listened, absorbed by these unbelievable revelations. Then came the time to explain to them my role in this story, how I was born into this world. I had no idea what time it could be. I had lost track of time. It was William who concluded the long story.

— "Now you know. You are free to believe it or not. We just ask you not to tell anyone. International security depends on it."

— "On a scale of one to ten, what is our chance of getting out of this?" asked Lexy.

— "I'd like to tell you ten, but that would be a lie. Time is against us," Faïz confessed.

— "Is there any way to help you?" asked David.

— "Yes, by staying away from all this. Get on with your lives. Now you know how important every moment is," William assured them.

— "Impossible!" roared Asarys, determined not to leave it at that. "Zoe is affected by this whole thing. There's no way I'm letting her face this demon alone. Surely you don't think we're going to sit and twiddle our thumbs while Hell decimates the planet?"

We understood what we should do now with my friends. Something that weighed heavily on me was gone at that moment. I felt stronger than ever. They had each just gained a little bit of the weight I was carrying. Asarys got up from the bed and approached me.

— "We won't let you go through this alone," she said, hugging me.

— "I suggest we get started right away," Lexy said, motivating us. "If the answers are in this book, then we don't have a minute to waste."

She leapt to her feet, which surprised everyone. It was William who opened the Callis and all five of us stationed ourselves around him.

— "Why does it shine so brightly?" asked David, surprised.

— "The Callis reacts to Zoe's presence. They are linked by some kind of invisible connection," Faïz replied.

I noticed that his voice had softened. He'd finally resigned himself to teaming up with my three friends.

— "Does this manuscript have to stay at the mansion? It might be easier if we could go through it somewhere else," Asarys asked.

— "The Callis cannot leave this place. Outside, it would be at the mercy of The Maestro, who could easily grab it. The mansion has been protected from the forces of evil for nearly two centuries," I explained.