Chapters 5-2

— "Hum!" Victoria winced at her reflection in the glass.

— "You are beautiful, I assure you," I insisted, "really thinking so."

It was a pity that this beautiful young girl did not accept herself. Victoria was becoming more and more graceful, elegant, and natural. Her shyness kept her from others. It hurt my heart to see her like that. She was the little sister I so would have wished to have.

— "How about I put makeup on you?" I proposed, passing my hand through her hair.

— "Yes, why not," she replied, not believing it too much and shrugging.

I wanted to do everything to make her big, sad eyes glow again, so I got busy with the task.

**

— "Zoe Reyes, Victoria Mattew, you guys are beautiful!" Lexy exclaimed as we returned.

— "I love it," added Asarys. "Come on, now the picture. We're going to be late!"

Lexy came between us. Her imposing sumo costume made it difficult to take the picture, which made us laugh a lot more. It was an unforgettable memory of that Halloween evening.

**

— "Fortunately we have the Escalade. Without that, I don't know how Lexy would have managed to get into a normal sized car," said Victoria, amused, as the four of us were walking towards the car.

Lexy wasn't walking, she was swinging from right to left so she could move around.

— "You better roll. You'd go faster." Asarys couldn't stop from making fun.

— "Leave me alone! Go and be guillotined," Lexy grumbled, almost out of breath.

— "Are they always like that?" Victoria whispered to me.

— "I warned you they were crazy."

In front of the Escalade, I handed the keys to Victoria to let her drive. This SUV was really too big for me. I was relieved to be able to sit in the passenger seat.

**

We crossed Downtown. The city was lit from all sides and, in the streets, the crowd flocked out to celebrate Halloween. I looked out the window at people in their suits with a slight smile on my face. Everything seemed so unreal to me at that moment. I couldn't help but envy them.

Beyonce in the background took us on a beautiful drive. However, Faïz, never far from my thoughts, came back to torture my mind. A new ball suddenly formed in my stomach. I was eager to find him again, aware that I was like a young teenager in front of her first love, which for me was really true. Why had I not avoided it from the beginning, as my conscience had asked me to? I knew that a part of me was suspicious of him, but the beauty of his face and his special look prevented me from turning away from this man. In the rearview mirror, I noticed Asarys was staring at me in a way I didn't recognize, her penetrating gaze trying to pierce the secrets I was hiding.

— "Look! The view of The Griffith is beautiful from here," Lexy exclaimed.

Her intervention turned me away from Asarys for a few seconds. When I laid my eyes on her again, my friend had regained a cheerful look, like she usually had. I blamed it on the city's lights, which must have been reflected intensely on her face. I could not explain it any other way.

— "Ray will be there?" I asked her with curiosity.

Victoria turned down the volume of the music.

— "Yes," she replied with a grin that spoke volumes. "Victoria, you'll have to drive me to my sorority. I have to leave my things there."

— "Oh no! No! We agreed that we would all arrive together to the ball," Lexy replied.

— "But I'll join you right away," she assured us.

— "Wouldn't you rather come with us?"

— "It's all right, girls... Ray is picking me up. We need to get to know each other," she justified herself, embarrassed.

— "Marie Antoinette is a hell of a bitch," Lexy said, falsely outraged at her.

Asarys took out her fan, shook it in front of her face, and added,

— "A nice lady doesn't talk about these things."

The attention remained on her until the end of our journey. She dodged, as well as she could, all spikes and allegations against her.

**

Victoria made a U-turn in front of the Asarys's sorority in order to leave as soon as possible. Asarys got out of the vehicle, relieved to leave us, and ran away into the Alphas Mu house. This building was only fifty meters from the university, but the surrounding area was so poorly lit that we could hardly distinguish it.

**

In the university parking lot, they were already waiting for the three of us. Lucas, the sheriff. Baudoin, the pirate. And David... David's outfit didn't mean anything to me. Maybe a termite killer? His brown suit and the vacuum cleaner on his back were unrecognizable.

— "Where is the funny lady?" asked David, referring to Asarys.

— "She'll be here," Victoria replied as she got out of the Escalade.

— "Charming, charming, charming," Baudoin addressed her, while staring at her from top to bottom.

— "I'd be careful if I were you, man. Her brother looks tough," David warned him.

The music reached us as far as the parking lot, which forced me to take a few dance steps while Lexy was busy getting out of the SUV.

— "What is this bullshit?" cried Lucas in an astonished tone as he discovered her.

Not letting herself be taken aback by her boyfriend's attitude, she replied without blinking,

— "The bitches will think twice before they come near you! A sheriff and a sumo, that's an unlikely couple."

Lexy rushed with open arms towards Lucas and hit him slightly. He immediately lost his balance and almost collapsed to the ground.

— "Stay away from me tonight! You're a public danger. And you two? How could you let her do it?" he accused Victoria and me.

— "As if what we say could have any impact. Your girlfriend is out of control," I told him.

Victoria put her arm through mine and we all walked together towards the entrance, where the celebration was in full swing. Lucas was in a hurry, followed by Lexy, who never intended to let go of him.