Chapters 2-2

Baylor University was written big on the building in front of us. Its Romanesque Revival style made the building imposing. The neat architecture with its bucolic appearance, embellished by countless statues, dominated a gigantic campus. A few meters further on, I saw a church. It was really strange that the two buildings mixed in this different environment. In front of the university entrance, Faïz regained the use of his voice.

— "Send a message if there's any trouble. Don't hesitate, okay?"

— "I can also run. I haven't changed my phone package yet. I was planning to solve that problem within the week." I grinned.

— "All right, then you'll have to run fast!"

Before turning around, he winked at me. It didn't take more than that for me to find myself on a little cloud. I was looking forward to meeting him after school.

Inside the amphitheater, the social science course had not yet begun. Standing near the entrance, I was reassured I'd go completely unnoticed. It was swarming with people, with voices from all over. A real artistic mess! I did not settle down too close or too far from the stage. When I was setting my things out on the table, I accidentally dropped my binder on the floor. As I bent down to pick it up, beautiful long red nails gave it back to me.

— "Are you new here?"

Sparkling and amused eyes questioned me.

— "Yes," I said, so happy to introduce myself to someone.

— "I'm Asarys Anderson. I'm from New York."

— "Zoe Reyes—"

— "You wear contacts, don't you?" she interrupted me.

The question must have burned her lips.

— "No, it's my true color," I told her, used to this assumption.

— "Incredible," she breathed in amazement. "Where are you from?"

— "Paris, France."

— "Paris!" she shouted with a big smile.

— "Yes. I'm here with the university exchange program."

Asarys, with a dream physique and African American origins, had light hazelnut eyes that made her eyes very special. Her dark lipstick seemed to be her only makeup on her perfect, flawless matte complexion. Standing in front of me, she looked tall. Her curved silhouette was like an hourglass. She dressed in a chic and sober style at the same time. With a wave of her hand, she called another girl at the other end of the amphitheater to join us.

— "Zoe, this is Alexia."

Asarys turned to her friend and added,

— She comes from Paris, and those are NOT contacts, " she said, thus taking the lead on possible recurring questions.

I couldn't help but smile.

— "Great, a Frenchwoman," exclaimed the young woman, apparently happy with this news.

— "You can call me Lexy," she added, "I'm from Bordeaux. Did you also come with a program?" she asked me.

— "That's right," I said.

Asarys looked at her friend while a smile.

— "Like you, Lexy. You two have a lot in common."

Lexy had a slightly rounded silhouette and was of medium height. Her large black eyes were highlighted by a light line of eyeliner, which in turn highlighted her light complexion. Her long, caramel streaked hair fell to her shoulders. Her glamorous, simple look gave her a crazy sex appeal.

— "I'll get my things and come and sit next to you, Zoe. Between French!"

As she walked away, she stuck her tongue out at Asarys. This gave her a false angry look as she took her place in front of me, which made me smile.