Chapter 10

I was finally able to get away from mom(Mia) and Auntie Elita. Will brought me to a room so I could do homework. In peace. The two nearly threw a fit when they let me go.

I was working on English when the door burst open. I blinked and looked up. It was Justin. He slammed the door and I heard girly giggles in the hall.

"Oh SunStreaker! Where are you?" I heard a girl coo. He was looking around when his eyes fell on me. He glared at me. "Go ahead. Sell me out." I sighed.

I got up and pressed a button. Will showed me this in case someone bad was in the building. Easy hide a way. I pointed into it and his eyes widened.

"Are you trying to trick me?" I raised an eyebrow. I shrugged and went to press the button again, but he ran past me into the hiding spot. I pressed the button and it closed.

I sat down as the door opened. I looked up. They were giggling until they saw me. "Oh." They made a face.

"Have you seen Sunny around? Not like he'd like you." I shook my head and went back to my work.

"Hey, you're Willies little sister, aren't you?" I looked up and nodded. "Dude, her eyes are glowing." One whispered. The lights flickered off and they gasped.

"We heard there was a freak around here." A girl sneered. "Poor Willie. Stuck with criticism just because of you." The lights turned on. I glared at them, feeling my eyes burn. They stepped back, gulping. I snapped my pencil and they squeaked. They darted from the room.

I gathered my things and put them in my bag. I slung it on my shoulder and grabbed my sketch book. I went to the button and pressed it. Justin crawled out. He stood and looked at me. I turned and walked away.

"Hey....uh....thanks." I looked at him with a strained expression. "Don't listen to them. Colonel Lennox hasn't been this happy in a while." I dipped my head and looked at him. I looked away and walked out.

I went out through the side of the base. People said not to listen to them. I don't but the words hurt like hell. I thought I had hardened against the words. I actually did until Sam came along. No one had ever asked if I was ok. They just laughed and walked away.

They opened the gate for me. I smiled at them and walked through. I slid my hood over my head and shoved my hands into my pockets. I had freed my hands and put my sketch book in my bag a few minutes ago.

I trudged down the road and kept my head low. I didn't know he was getting criticism because of me. I wish he could have told me. I frowned.

************************

I was almost home when I heard an engine roaring my way. I looked back and saw a black Sudan. I dropped my bag and began running as it squeaked its tires.

I began running along the road in the snow. I knew I couldn't out run it so I veered into the woods. I heard a man curse. Father. My blood ran cold but I kept running.

I heard him coming after me. I looked back and saw he had an orange jumper from a prison ward on. He must have escaped.

I turned and dodged a tree. I ran through more trees to try and dodge him. I could feel my cell vibrating as some one was calling me.

I pulled it out and saw it was Will. I answered it. "Cody? Where'd you go?" I looked behind me, panting. "Listen, I just got a call that the man you were living with escaped. I want you to get back to base-" "get back here, Lyra!" Father yelled.

"Cody.....was that who I think is?"