Chapter 6

Muffled voice woke me up from another dream. I rubbed my eyes and reached for my drawing pad. I opened it to another blank page andbegan to draw.

I noticed Dr. Hatchet came in and start tinkering with my machines. He took off the oxygen and sat on the edge of my bed as I drew. I glanced at him, telling him I knew he was there.

I made a few faces and I heard him chuckle at them. I drew a picture with a bow and arrow quiver under a Christmas tree. A hunting set. Again, Lennox was in it. He had a train set which was weird for his age in this picture.

I stared at the picture when Dr. Hatchet cleared his throat. "May I see?" I nodded and handed him the book. He saw it and smiled.

"These are your memories." I tilted my head. "We got the results back." I blinked, wide eyed. He chuckled. "You're name is Dakota Lee Lennox. Not Lyra." I tapped my chin and let it replay in my head.

"We called your brother-" I whipped my eyes to him and felt them tearing up. I had a brother?

As if reading my mind, he nodded. "He's five years older than you are. He's on his way here." I mentioned for the book and he gave it to me. I opened it to a written on page and started writing.

'Do I have parents?' He saw it and sadly shook his head. I looked down and blinked, New tears falling. I looked away and sighed. He moved closer and put a hand on my upper arm.

"Dakota." I looked at him. "The reason why you don't remember anything but pieces is because you were in a car crash. Your parents were killed on impact. We looked into it. They both died half way between the front and back seats. They were protecting you in their last moments. We have no idea who hit you at that time at this moment."

I sat up and grabbed my pad and flipped through the pages. I stopped on the picture of the lady protecting me. He sat next to me and nodded.

"Yes, that's your mother." I pointed to the black speck in the front with dust flying behind it. He squinted to get a better look. I flipped the page and showed him the police cruiser I saw hit our car before everything went blank. He stiffened and grabbed the book.

"I need to use this." I nodded and shoved it towards him. He patted my head and walked out in a hurry. I shifted in my seat and looked out the window. It was snowing!

I threw off the blankets and sat on the edge of the bed, realizing that I had scrubs on. Top and bottom. I wiggled my toes and slowly slid off the bed. I touched the cold tile and nearly crumpled from the lack of use of my legs. I grabbed the bed before I could.

I took a breather and slowly let go of the bed. I steadied myself and took a step towards the window. I stopped and let myself get used to the step. I took another one and another.

I made it to the window that reached the floor. It took about a hundred steps, but I made it. I touched the glass and peered outside. I had both hands on the glass and wide eyes as I watched the snow fall.

The door opened. "-'s ok." I heard Dr. Hatchet say. "Dakota-what are you doing up!" He nearly yelled. I looked at him and pointed to the snow. He came over and stopped next to me.

"Yes, it's snowing." I laid my head against the window and closed my eyes, sighing. I heard Dr. Hatchet make a quiet chuckle at me.

"Would you like to walk around the hallway?" I nodded and he disconnected the wires and I.V's. he bandaged the parts where there was blood and patted my hand. "Let's go for a walk." I nodded.

He let me grab ahold of his arm as we began walking towards the door. He went as slow as I did. I thanked his patience with me.

We walked out and a nurse gasped. "She's walking!?" She squeaked happily. Dr. Hatchet nodded and she ran off. "Guys! Ms. Lennox is walking!" She yelled. A bunch of nurses and doctors came into the hallway and clapped. I looked at Dr. Hatchet and he chuckled.

"They were worried about you." I pursed my lips. I pointed to them, shrugged and tapped my temple. He sighed. "Dakota, when you came in, every doctor was ordered to see to you. You were in terrible shape." I frowned.

"But, you are alive and well!" He smiled and I couldn't help but smile at him. He patted my hand as we walked down the hallway. His pager went off.

"Your brothers in the cafeteria. Would you like to join him?" I sighed and nodded. Dr. Hatchet took my hand and we began walking towards the elevator when he grabbed something from the counter. Slippers for me. Black ones. I smiled.