Summer Camp - Chapter 4

Maddy

It was the last day of school. Maddy had gone home to a surprise from her mum. 

"You're going to a summer camp!" Her mum had delightfully told her. Maddy was always a happy, extroverted girl, so she was very excited to hear that. 

"Which one?" She asked her mum. 

"It's called Camp Half-Blood. It's in New York," her mom explained. Maddy was surprised. Generally, her mum didn't let her out of her sight, let alone go to a summer camp in another country. "Your dad wants you to go," her mother added, as if expecting Maddy's confusion. 

"Okay, then, when are we going?"

"We'll be apparating over tomorrow. I'll help you pack," her mum answered. "You should know that the camp you're going to is kind of a muggle camp. It's not entirely muggle, but it generally won't know about the existence of magic. It will have a few magical wards put in place for protection, though."

Maddy was confused, but she nodded nonetheless. 

*

The next evening, Maddy held a trunk enchanted with a featherlight charm in one hand while her other hand was grasping tightly onto her mother's. She hated side-along apparition. She felt her mum's hand tighten a bit and then the sensation of apparition overtook her. Maddy felt a sharp tug in her stomach, then opened her eyes to see... 

The middle of nowhere? They were standing atop a hill overlooking some strawberry fields. There was a tall pine tree on the side of the clearing. 

"Mum, are you sure we're at the right place?" Maddy questioned. 

Her mom's eyes twinkled. "Just walk straight ahead, Maddy. The place is charmed so we won't be able to see anything from here."

Maddy walked. She passed the tall pine tree and then all of a sudden, she could see so many people, in orange t-shirts, and various buildings. "Whoa," she gasped. Maddy turned back around to see her mum still standing past the pine tree. "Mum, you've got to see this!"

Angeline  Young was still smiling, but it was a slightly sad smile. "Maddy, darling, I can't go past the pine tree border. Go ahead and go into that big house over there and ask for Chiron. I won't see you for a while, but if you want to talk to me, ask Chiron and he'll show you how," she told her daughter. 

Maddy's face dropped. She ran to hug her mom. "Okay, mum. I'll see you later," she said, her voice slightly muffled. 

Her mom bent down. "Aw, Maddy, are you crying?" she asked her, a teasing smile on her face.

"No, I'm not," Maddy replied, even though tears were very clearly running down her cheeks. 

Maddy's mom laughed. But she was cut off mid laugh by a soft hiss. 

Maddy froze. "Mum," she whispered, "what's that?"

Angeline lifted her head and quickly took in the two monsters in front of them. With a flick of her wand, she sent Maddy's trunk past the pine tree. "Maddy, you have to get over the border," she said urgently. "They won't be able to get past the border."

"No, I'm not leaving without you!" Maddy refuted. By now, she had seen the ladies slowly creeping up on them. They looked kind of like normal women, but one of their legs was metal, and the other looked like the leg of an animal. "What are they?" Maddy asked, panicking. 

"Don't worry, Maddy, they won't hurt me, but they will hurt you. Get past the border, now." Angeline's voice was forceful now. "Go."

Reluctantly, Maddy started backing towards the pine tree. The dracaenae lunged. Not at her mother, but at her. Now knowing that they wouldn't attack her mom, Maddy was quick to run. She made it past the pine tree, and looking back, found that her mom had already disapparated. Following her mom's instructions, she ran over to the big house with her trunk in hand. She ran inside, panic clearly etched across her face. 

"Help, some weird ladies tried to attack me!" She exclaimed in her distinctive British accent. She saw a middle-aged man with a brown beard in a wheelchair appear in the doorway, probably the Chiron guy her mom was talking about. 

"Hello, you must be Madeline," he said. His voice was reassuring, like he had lots of experience with people being attacked. "I'm Chiron. Welcome to Camp Half-Blood."

<>

So, Maddy arrives at CHB! Sorry for making you guys wait so long for this chapter. For some reason, it wasn't really writing itself. 

Don't forget to vote and comment!

-browneyedgenius