Truth

"I'm breaking up with you," Loke said. The uncharacteristic bluntness shocked Gray more than the actual words and their meaning.

"What are you talking about?" Gray countered.

"It's just not working out," he sighed. "I think we both knew this was inevitable. We should stick to women."

"What, no cheesy line?" Gray scoffed.

"Gray-" Loke started.

"You're really starting to piss me off, man. Don't I get a say in this?" Gray reached a hand out to Loke, who brushed him off and made Gray's anger rise even more. "Whatever. If you want to go back to sleeping with every girl in Magnolia then be my guest. Excuse me for thinking that what we have- had was special."

Loke sighed and turned to leave. "Goodbye, Gray. I'm sorry."

Gray watched him go and when he was almost out of earshot said to Loke's back, "Loke... if something is wrong then you can talk to me. You know, instead of running away like this."

Loke kept going without turning, his eyes brimming with tears that threatened to pour over. The truth is he was dying and he made a decision. He decided that he would not drag any of the people he cared about down with him. And maybe if Gray was angry with him, he wouldn't mourn. Loke didn't want to hurt him, or anyone. It seemed like all he ever did was accidentally hurt the people around him. At least he would never be able to hurt anyone again.

With a heavy heart, Loke walked solemnly to the guild hall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What do you mean you're quitting the guild?" Mira gasped. But after a look at his face, she knew she couldn't change his mind. "Take care of yourself, Loke."

"Thanks, Mira," he nodded. "You too."

A few moments too late, Gray walked into the guild hall "Hey what's going on?" He asked, noticing the solemn mood.

"Loke just quit the guild," Mira replied sadly. "He hasn't been himself lately. I hope everything's okay."

"He w-what?"

"I wonder if it has something to do with Lucy and his history with celestial wizards. I saw the two of them talking recently."

Gray bolted for the door and sprinted to Lucy's place practically on autopilot, hopeful that she could give him some answers. What is going on with you, Loke? He asked desperately.

He stormed into Lucy's apartment, unaware of the fact that he had lost his clothes at some point during the journey. Deaf to her protests he panted, "Loke quit Fairy Tail and ran away!" He could tell by the look in her eyes that she knew more than he did. It hurt him to know that he could not help Loke, but he was glad that it seemed like Lucy could at least. He watched her run off and hoped that she could save Loke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Celestial spirit, huh?"

"Yep."

"Why didn't you just tell me the truth?"

Loke sighed and began, "Because I didn't want you to get hurt. I was worried you would do something stupid to try and save me. And I also didn't want you to mourn after I was gone. But... what you said yesterday, about thinking our relationship is special... it is. You're special to me, Gray."

"There's the cheesy Loke I know," Gray laughed, punching him playfully in the arm. "So um... you're probably gonna be spending more time in the spirit realm, right?"

"Yeah. Being in this world for too long drains my life force. It's a miracle I was able to stay here for so many years." Then, confirming that he was back to his usual self, he added, "But you give me strength. Even in a different world, my feelings for you will continue to thrive."

"Yeah, yeah, no need to lay it on so thick there Romeo." Gray blushed slightly as he added, "But seriously... I'm really glad that you're okay. Come back to visit sometimes, okay?"

"Of course I will!" Loke said, seemingly offended that Gray would think he could just leave him behind. "I will come back for you, Gray Fullbuster... " he closed the distance between them and kissed Gray deeply. When he finally pulled away he finished the thought: "...because I love you."

WC: 707