7

Another Saturday, another day wasted doing this stupid project for philosophy class. Honestly, I didn't mind too much. Wasting my day doing schoolwork was a much more enjoyable waste of time then listening to my mum flirt with random men all day or hang out with her snotty friends. Plus, I got to talk to Sienna.

We hadn't really talked much over the last week but I can tell she had forgiven me by the way she smiled when we passed in the corridor between lessons or made eye contact at lunch. I was grateful we were on good terms again, although I'm not sure why she was so angry at me in the first place. That's just how Sienna is, always looking out for other people and trying to make everyone happy. I was the complete opposite; if I had something to say, I would say it, regardless of if any feelings got hurt in the process. It's not my fault if other people are special snowflakes that can't handle the truth.

Currently I was squished in the back of Sienna's mum's car, sandwiched between Oliver and Sienna's friend Layan. I'm not sure why Layan was coming with us, seen as though she wasn't in our philosophy class, but I didn't argue with it. At least it wasn't Autumn coming with us, that girl seriously scared me and hated my guts for some reason. Sienna was sitting the front passenger seat, ignoring us as she fed her mum directions from her phone.

We were on our way to some kind of lake in the middle of nowhere, which was Sienna's choice of location to document about for our assignment. I'm not sure what a random body of water had to do with the meaning of life, but I didn't question it. I'm shit at philosophy, what would I know? Plus, as long as it gave me a chance to get into Sienna's good books, I didn't really care what we did.

The air in the car was humid; the kind of uncomfortable humidity that made your skin crawl and your back wet with sweat. My palms were clammy and my hair was already frazzled from the heat, despite my summer attire of light blue shorts and a white tank top. Beside me, Oliver sat dressed in black jeans and the same oversized hoodie he always wore. I'm not sure how he hadn't died from heat stroke yet. Maybe he was a vampire, that would make a lot of sense, and explain why he avoided everyone so much. Maybe the reason he sat alone at lunch wasn't because he was a loner with no friends, but rather to avoid sucking everyone's blood.

Holding back a laugh at my weird thoughts, I looked away from the small boy next to me and went back to looking out of the window. I sighed in relief when I spotted a sign for the lake, knowing it wouldn't be long until I could break free of this moving box of sweat known as a car. It was a miracle that England had stayed hot now for over three days straight, but I couldn't wait for winter to hit us again. I was seriously done with this heat.

We rolled into the car park and halted to a stop. As soon as the car stopped moving, the doors were being flung open and we were rushing to clamber out. I had to practically trample Layan to get outside, but it was worth it for the wave of fresh air that hit my body like tsunami. The light, cold breeze tousled my sweaty hair, making me sigh in relief as I breathed in the smell of summer.

Sienna's mum waved goodbye before driving off, leaving us alone at the lake. We began walking towards the small expanse of water, Sienna and I at the front whilst Oliver trailed behind the group almost reluctantly. As we walked, I felt soft fingertips gently graze against mine, and before I knew it I was holding Sienna's hand. I prayed to god that she didn't notice how sweaty and gross my palms were. Butterflies erupted in my stomach, my face turning pink (from the heat, I swear).

Once we got to the lake, Sienna dropped my hand so that she could get our her camera to take pictures. My smile dropped, but I looked away and brought my hand through my hair like I didn't even notice. She walked around the whole lake snapping shots from different angles, the rest of us following behind her like brainless sheep. None of us spoke, but it wasn't awkward, we were all just doing our own thing whilst we waited for Sienna to be done. Yes, we probably could have helped her but did it really take more than one person to get a couple of pictures of a lake?