17

I didn't talk to Oliver at school. I didn't even look his way. But I could feel his gaze on the back of my head, making my neck feel as if it were on fire. I could feel Sienna's eyes on me too, maybe even more than Oliver's, and yet I ignored her too.

I glanced at my watch nervously, quickening my pace towards the school when I noticed how quickly the small hand had already moved. I wouldn't be late, I couldn't be. So I almost ran, speed walking down the barren streets before the empty school corridors and then finally slipping into the dance department. The lights were already on, making the changing rooms and viewing area glow. I looked down at my watch again anxiously. Phew, I made it on time.

Just then the door to the dance studio swung open, revealing a shirtless, sweaty Oliver in the door frame. Look at the eyes Joshua, don't stop looking at the eyes- oops I looked down. I couldn't help myself from quickly peeking down at his chest, and the lower half of his legs that was on show. My face blushed heavily, cheeks hurting from the sudden burning heat. Stop, Josh, your obsession with this boy is getting creepy now!

"Oh you actually showed up." He laughed nervously in surprise, a repressed grin sneaking its way onto his face. He didn't expect me to show up? Why wouldn't I, I'm not that much of an arsehole, especially not to someone I'm clearly trying to get with.

"Why wouldn't I?" I raise my eyebrow at him, making his eyes dart to the floor instantly to avoid my eye contact. This kid is so awkward it's adorable- I mean annoying. Obviously so annoying, not enchanting at all. I've never met someone as socially awkward and introverted as Oliver, makes me wonder why my confident self finds him so intriguing. But then again, don't they always say that opposites attract?

"Well you're not exactly the most constant person I've ever met." He shrugs, his voice quiet like always. His shoulders are tense, almost defensive, and his lanky arms cover his sweat chest. He's wearing those pink dance shoe things, I have no idea what they are called, with ribbons twisting around his lower legs. I have never been jealous of ribbons, until this moment in time.

"What's that suppose to mean." I scoff. He shrugs again, not answering my question but instead retreating to his dance studio. I follow him in before the door can snap shut, cringing at how bright the light is in here. It's completely barren apart from the water bottle, laptop and hoodie on the floor. One of the walls is covered in mirrors with a bar across it, whilst the others are all painted light blue. The floor is springy and weird, my footsteps imploding off of it like I'm walking on the moon.

"I talked to Sienna by the way, in case you wanted to know." Oliver mutters as he sits down on the floor and unscrews the top of his reusable bootle. I nod, hesitating for a heart beat before I sit down beside him too. He shuffles away from me slightly so that there's a couple of metres between us, making me raise an eyebrow in question that he doesn't acknowledge.

"Oh okay." I say awkwardly, instantly facepalming at how uninterested that sounded. "Err, did you sort things out? Are we cool now?"

"Yeah we sorted it out, she told me you weren't y'know going after both of us at the same time." He laughs nervously before scratching the back of his slightly damp hair. Most people would think the fact that his hair was damp from sweat would be off putting, but right now it made him look even better. The way his hair curled delicately at the ends, the way it stuck to his sharp cheekbones and clung to his forehead. It was hot. Made me wonder what he would look like all sweaty from- nope, no don't think about that now, Joshua. "And I don't know, Joshua, are we cool?

"Yes!" I exclaim instantly, making his eyes fly wide open. I cough into my sleeve before opening my mouth again, processing my words slower this time. "I-I mean yeah, yes...it would be cool if we were y'know...cool?"

He shakes his head at my words, a light laugh leaving his parted lips as he smiles. I don't think I've ever heard him laugh properly before, it's high pitched and cheerful, but in a good way instead of an obnoxious one.

"Cool." He mocks me, imitating my voice. I roll my eyes at him, leaning over to punch him in the again arm lightly, a playful spark glimmering in my eyes. He laughs again, shoving me back gently with the palm of his hand. Even the slight brush of his hand against my sleeve makes a blush form on my face, lighting it up like a Christmas tree.

"Sooo what do you want to do now." I ask nervously after a couple of moments of silence. My normal confidence seems to wash away as soon as I realise we are completely alone, just me and him in this empty building. We could do anything right now together, anything.

"You are going to sit right there and watch." He says confidently, throwing my senses off guard. Wow, I've never heard this boy be so assertive before, or at all even. Every so often I see glimpses into his real personality, the one he locks away under a sheet of baggy hoodies and quietness when others are around. It makes me wonder what he will be like when he finally gets comfortable around me; it makes me wonder who the real Oliver really is.

"Try to not get hard, yeah?" He says jokingly, making me groan and mutter a defensive 'fuck off' back.

Sighing, I sit and watch curiously as the shorter boy clicks the meter button on his laptop, the intro to a song immediately blasting through the dance studio speakers. He gracefully walks to the centre of the floor, his footsteps already as artistic as dance moves. When the beat of the music changes he begins to dance, his feet lifting up onto the points of his shoes before he springs up into a flexible position I don't know the name of. His arms move too, leaping into action as if they have a life of their own as they circle around his elegant body.

Enchanted, I watch in a daze as if he had hypnotised me. Leap, split, prance, roll. He moves across the floor fluidly like a paint brush gliding across an empty canvas. It's like a language, his movement speak their own story that comes to life with the music. His body contorts and stretches, his muscles glistening with sweat as they firm into place. And then it's over, the music coming to a final halt as his whole body flips through the air. I can't help the gasp that leaves my mouth as he lands perfectly on the floor like a gymnast, his heavy breathing now the only thing filling the room.

"So, what did you think?" He gasps heavily, hungry for oxygen to fill his tired body. I can't speak. Joshua Franceschi is officially speechless. What is this boy doing to me.

"I- I don't know what to say..." I stutter after a few moment of silence. My brain feel like my grans computer trying to load up the internet. He smiles at me cheekily, teeth glistening between his perfect lips that I can't look away from.

"It's for the audition." He confesses shyly, making a smile burst out on my face.

"Seriously? You're going to go for it?" I ask excitedly, feeling like a child in a sweatshop ready to spend their pocket money on pick-n-mix.

"No, I made a routine for the audition but I'm not going to it." He mocks. "Yes, obviously, Joshua!"

"Cool." I say dumbly, making him laugh again as I cringe once again at my words. Around him nothing seems to come out right.

"Cool." He smiles sweetly, making the butterflies in my chest flutter as my heart pounds in glee.