2

I was sat in Philosophy, back curved as I slumped in my seat. My eyes focused on the pencil in my hand which methodically tapped against the wooden table where my blank notebook laid. I hated this class, the teacher was boring and old and the selection of people in here was equally as dull. I didn't really understand why the school made everyone take philosophy, but I wasn't complaining because it was easy to pass and required no revision. Not that I revised for any class.

School wasn't exactly my forte; I hardly passed my GCSE's and my family were surprised the sixth form even let me in. I wasn't good at numbers, or words, or memorising facts, or reciting why the mitochondria was the powerhouse of the cell. Grades didn't matter to me at all, I had no intentions of going to university anyway so what was the point.

The teacher picked up a blue whiteboard pen with his bony fingers and slowly drew it across the board in the form of scrawny letters. It was a quote that said 'The madness of love is the greatest of heavens blessings'. I rolled my eyes at the stupid love quote, wondering what that even means. This is why I didn't like philosophy; nothing was ever simple, they always had to find some over complicated way to portray simple messages that they could just straight out say.

I thought back to my encounter with Sienna this morning. To say I was embarrassed would be an understatement, I had never been rejected before especially not for someone like Oliver Sykes. He was boring and weird and I've heard a lot of rumours circulating about him being gay although I'm pretty sure Sienna and him are secretly dating. Why else would she brush me off for him?

When we were in year 11 there was this big rumour going around that he slept with a year 13 at someone's house party. Apparently, someone walked in on them and spread pictures of them kissing around Facebook. That was probably the only remotely interesting thing that has ever happened to Oliver Sykes.

I look around the classroom at the clock on the wall. It's only a couple more minutes until the bell will ring, signalling the beginning of lunch. I usually sit with Sienna and her friends at lunch, but today I think I'll sit with mine seen as though things might be awkward between us at the minute. Sitting with the lads is a whole different dynamic to sitting with Sienna and her friends; there was a lot less gossip and a lot more football related banter involved.

The hands on the clock finally reached the 12 as the room filled with the shrill noise of the bell, causing everyone to start packing up. The teacher sighed and began writing the homework on the board, not that I bothered to write it down because he probably wouldn't check it anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if the teacher died of old age before next lesson, he could hardly get off his desk chair without going into cardiac arrest.

Flinging my backpack over one shoulder, I quickly exited the room and passed through the almost impossible maze, commonly known as hallways. I made my way into the dining hall and bought myself a cheese sandwich before locating my friends. Unsurprisingly, they were sat at the same table which they were always sat at. I plonked myself down on a seat between Jordan and Matt Kean, instantly regretting my choice of seat when I realised Jordan had a tuna sandwich today. Ugh, gross.

The dining hall is packed full of chattering people and annoyed looking teachers, which is understandable because why would any teacher want to spend their lunch break in a noisy room full of angsts teens. From across the room I spot Sienna walking towards her usual table with two sandwiches in her hands. Why does she have two?

She flicks her long hair behind her ears before sitting down opposite her two friends; Layan and Autumn. Her perfect lips pull up into a wide smile, showing her perfectly white, straight teeth. Her ebony eyes flick across the dining hall and her smile instantly gets bigger, causing me to follow her gaze. I frown when I realise she's looking at Oliver Sykes.

He slowly walks towards her, almost as if he's hesitant or shy. His slim figure is drowning in an oversized black hoodie, accompanied by faded blue jeans and vans. I don't think I've ever seen him wear a different outfit. He finally sits down at her table, looking uneasy and out of place for a second before his body finally relaxes and he melts into their friendship group.

"Whatcha staring at mate?" Jordan asks. I can smell his tuna sandwich from here. He follows my gaze with his crystal blue eyes, snorting when his eyes align with the same thing as mine. "Jealous over Sykes?"

"I'm not jealous!" I exclaim, but even I can hear the lie in my words. I'm pretty sure if someone was to pain a portrait of me right now my entire body would be green, I'm that jealous. Not that I would ever admit that to Jordan, even if he is one of my closest friends.

I watch from my bubble of jealously as Oliver pulls out a textbook from his bag and begins to flick through it. His fringe falls over his dark eyes as he reads, his head lowered as if the words of the page have enchanted him. Sienna reaches over and puts her hand on his shoulder. My bubble gets so big that it almost bursts.

From besides me I hear Matt say something that resembles 'ouch', but the sound is distorted by the steam coming out of my ears. I'm not even sure why I'm so annoyed by this simple action, but I am suddenly furious. If someone was to paint a portrait of me now, my skin would no longer be green but a shade of dark red instead.

"Who the hell even revises at lunch?" I mutter bitterly to myself, although I'm pretty sure everyone at my table hears it. Seriously, does this kid ever stop doing school work? It's ridiculous to think anyone's world could ever revolve around something as insignificant as school grades.

"Maybe Sienna's into smart people." Lee shrugs. I glare at him, my eyes burning through his skin like a laser cutter. Sometimes I forget Lee even sits with us, even though he's been with us since the end of primary school. He's the kind of guy who prefers to stay in the shadows instead of the spotlight. He would probably get on with Oliver quite well.

"Boring people, more like." I roll my eyes, still clearly irritated. My voice is acidic like poison. "Sykes' is as dull as watching grass grow."

"Have you ever even talked to him?" Dan questions from across the table. I roll my eyes at him. Daniel is probably the most popular guy in our year, and he's head boy too. Girls have been practically throwing themselves at him ever since he got the position, and it's not hard to see why they like him so much.

"Has he ever even spoken to anyone?" I raise my eyebrows back.

"Your bird, apparently." Jordan snorts. I'm one second away from throwing him and his tuna sandwich through the nearest window. The table erupts into laughter.

If someone was to paint a portrait of Oliver Sykes, I'm not sure there would be enough grey paint in the entire world to complete it.

Trying out a slightly different writing style, let me know if it works or not.