The inside was filled with rows of long, wooden pews. White, porcelain light fixtures hung from the ceiling. At the end of the room there was a table and a closed door. Behind the long table resting at the front of the room laid dozens of empty cans. "How long has he been here?" I asked to no one in particular.

"Please, did you see that guy back there? I don't think he's left this place since it started." Carl answered from beside me. Judging by the state of this place Carl was probably right. My brows furrowed and a grossed out expression took over my face as I kicked over an empty can of soup only for a cockroach to scurry out. I stepped back in a hurry, a grunt of disgust escaping my throat. Carl's hand grabbed my wrist as I hopped away. Composing myself, I quickly stomped my foot down on it, effectively squishing it.

"Don't like bugs?" Carl asked teasingly, eyebrows raised.

I glared at him shortly, looking away in annoyance as a stupid grin pulled at his lips. "You suck." I announced, rolling my eyes. He laughed in response.

I looked down at my wrist, his cold fingers still wrapped around it. He glanced at it too, seemingly just now noticing it was there. He let go awkwardly, shoving his hands into his pockets like it would shield them from doing something else embarrassing.

I carried on towards the end of the isle, checking to make sure there were no other disgusting little surprises. Tara sat at the very front of the room, Eugene close by but far away that they couldn't hold a conversation comfortably. Rosita seemed to be checking the place out for herself, carefully eyeing under pews and kicking boxes out of her way.

Not long after the rest of the group was settling in, dropping their bags and sitting down exhaustedly. The bus conversation seemingly over and forgotten. I still didn't know the verdict and I doubt I would until Abraham was ready to leave. He kept secrets like that, acted like everything was a need-to-know basis. It was so fucking annoying.

"How did you survive here for so long? Where did your supplies come from?" Rick's commanding voice echoed through the church's high, wooden ceilings, Judith hanging off his hip.

"Luck," Gabriel answered. "Our annual canned food drive, things fell apart right after we finished it."

Carl stepped up to his father, taking Judith from his arms and bouncing her up and down gently in his own. I watched as he sat down on one of the benches, resting her on his knee and letting her play with his hand while the other held her securely.

"The food lasted a long time, and then I started scavenging," Gabriel continued. "I've cleaned out every place nearby. Except for one." he admitted, glancing away from Rick to see who else was listening.

Rick shifted his weight, resting his hands on his hips. "What kept you from it?" He asked.

Gabriel paused before answering sadly. "It's overrun."

Rick didn't bother waiting before continuing his interrogation. "How many?"

"A dozen or so," Gabriel's mouth opened and closed like a fish nervously. "Maybe more."

Rick whipped his head around to gauge what the group was thinking, wanting to know if anyone was down. A few people looked between each other before Sasha stepped up. "We can handle a dozen." Rick assured.

"Bob and I will go with you." Sasha said. my eyebrows rose at that. She must of had a lot of faith in their relationship. I don't think there's a single person left I would willingly march into a suicide mission with, let alone without even volunteering on my own. To my surprise, Bob nodded in agreement. "Tyreese should stay here, help keep Judith safe."

"That'll be okay?" Rick asked.

Tyreese smiled assuringly. "Sure. You ever need me to watch her," his head shook side to side as he continued. "Need anything for her, I'm right here."

Rick nodded, "and I'm grateful for it." He walked over towards Tyreese, whispering "And everything else."

Abraham looked over at me and chuckled. "You stay here and protect Tyreese, kid."

I looked at him defiantly despite being glad they weren't about to make me go, too. "You sure you don't need me to protect you?" I asked. Rosita chuckled, clapping him on the shoulder as he sulked, not expecting the come back.

"I'll draw you a map." Gabriel cut the conversation short, moving from the spot he'd fearfully been occupying for several minutes. What did he have to fear? Sure, we were a group of well-equipped survivors with impressive skills, even for the apocalypse. But he had territorial advantage. For all we know, he could of been a madman that had successfully led in into his church as a trap and rigged the whole place to blow or drug us and sell us into some post-apocalyptic trafficking ring. He might look three seconds from wetting himself but that didn't mean he wasn't just really committed to his role.

Okay, maybe I was reaching, but you wouldn't believe the type of monsters people turned into when they didn't have laws or structure holding their sanity intact. Terminus was enough proof of that.

"That won't be necessary. You're coming with us." Rick demanded. I couldn't tell if Gabriel looked more scared to argue or just go quietly.

His mouth moved in between a terrified smile and a frown before he finally decided his case. "I'm not gonna be any help," he assured. "You saw me."

I scoffed humorlessly. "Yeah, we saw you crying like a baby then tossing your cookies. Real great image, Gabriel." I whispered under my breath. Tara, who only sat a single row in front of me, snorted. I hoped no one else had heard me when nobody reacted and the conversation continued without anyone looking at me.

"I'm no good around those things."

"You're coming with us." Rick walked away before Gabriel could argue further. I had to cut Gabriel some slack, Rick really was scary when he wanted to be.

Abraham pulled me aside before they left. "You stay safe, keep your eyes sharp. This guy may seem like a bottle suckin' pussy but he might have friends hanging around." He looked away from me to glare at Gabriel who was anxious adjusting his collar over and over again. "Look around while you can, see if you can find anything without him here standing over your shoulder." He pat me on the shoulder harshly, but I didn't let it show.

"Wow, Abe. Didn't know you cared so much." I teased sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes, releasing my shoulder in annoyance. "If your head gets any bigger you won't fit through the door and you'll be stuck in here forever."

"At least my big head has something in it." I bit back.

"Yeah, well don't get too cocky. I'd still sell you for a real good steak." he promised. This time I rolled my eyes. he turned away and walked out of the door before I could think of anything good.

I turned and took in the space now that it was less crowded, deciding what to snoop through first.